Pbars
1 Copper

Re: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

I managed to create a 'plugged in not charging' problem on my own while swapping out a dead hard drive on a Dell 14R n4110 laptop. As with others who have encountered this problem I discovered the BIOS did not recognize the charger and the battery refused to charge. 

There is a ribbon cable which runs across the fan connecting the small AC plug & VGA connector circuit board to the motherboard. I disconnected the cable for access to the fan and motherboard but didn't seat it properly after replacing the HD and reassembling the unit. Seating correctly rectified the problem. Thanks to those who shared how Dell laptops verify their charging units - I never would have suspected that.

Just a heads up for anyone else who discovers the battery no longer charges after working with the mobo.

0 Kudos
Gadfly Inc
1 Copper

Re: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

I have had the same charging issue and followed the steps you suggested. My version of BIOS was newer than your suggested patch. I did not replace the newer version with the old, following Dell's recommendation. This leads me to think the problem is not with a BIOS patch.

0 Kudos
cacophis
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have had this problem on my  on my XPS laptop and after trying all suggested solutions I remembered that the connector is such a poor fit that it regularly falls out. So I wrapped the connector in a piece of cooking foil and lo and behold it's now charging.

I suggest this is a design fault.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Gadfly Inc,

Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
3. You will now be on the BIOS screen
4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then please update the BIOS again on the system.
7. Also, please check for Battery Health status under advanced tab in the BIOS.

Also, I would suggest you update the BIOS on the system again. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it. Then run the diagnostics again.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
cacophis
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Adapter type remains unknown after following the above ( it's the original Dell adapter ) battery health is good and there are no relevant BIOS updates for my service tag.<Admin Note: removed per privacy policy~RK>

0 Kudos
Pbars
1 Copper

Jump to solution

As cacophis noted, the cable clamp is a poor fit. My neighbor dropped her computer (obviously not a good idea in the first place) and the cable lost electrical connection though it appeared to still be seated correctly.

The cable is thinner than the other ribbon cables used in the computer which is why the connection is a poor fit. If it happens to my neighbor's Dell again I will try small piece of paper or other shim to secure the cable.

0 Kudos
RoyCross
1 Copper

RE: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

That didn't do it for mine.  Same problem after BIOS update.

0 Kudos

RE: Battery plugged in, not charging...(found the fix that worked for my Dell Inspiron

Jump to solution

Hi RoyCross,

Please share the exact system model. Also, try releasing the residual charge from the system, here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the battery and AC Adapter.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter. Try to restart the computer and check.

Also, I request you to try an alternate good known AC adapter to check functionality. Hope this helps.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Saharsh K
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.
0 Kudos
Dianne778
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for this,,, tried everything else and didn't work... THIS WORKED!   

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Dianne778,

Glad to know you found the information shared on this thread helpful and it resulted in fixing the issue. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in future.

Thanks & Regards
Saharsh K
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.
0 Kudos