Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2017 10:00

Bitlocker Issue and TPM missing

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had encountered Bitlocker and TPM issues recently (possibly after a recent update)?

Just a few days ago every time I wake up my XPS 9360 it would ask me to input my recovery keys.

As this is getting annoying, I disabled Bitlocker altogether but somehow I can no longer enable it, it's saying "This device cannot use a Trusted Platform Module".

I've also checked Device Manager, I can see the TPM under Security Devices with the following message: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"

It appears the TPM feature just disappeared.

It's kind of similar to the discussion on the link below, but they're talking about 9550

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985939

I've already tried flashing the BIOS with the same version 1.3.2 but still no TPM.

Dell Support is not very helpful either, still waiting for their reply.

Thanks,

3 Posts

May 8th, 2017 19:00

Just in case others ran into the same problem, I did most of the instructions on the OP link which did not really help. What I haven't tried is to downgrade the BIOS though (which I think doesn't really makes much sense).

Anyway, I ended up submitting a support ticket to Dell, they sent a technician to replace the motherboard, then voila! TPM is back and I was able to encrypt with Bitlocker.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 20th, 2017 12:00

What BIOS was installed on the replacement motherboard? 1.3.2?

3 Posts

May 25th, 2017 06:00

Hello Chris,

Unfortunately I cannot remember which BIOS version it has, but I'm speculating it might be < 1.3.2 .

I found this on the Event Viewer logs from System Detect on the date of the replacement:

SMBIOSMajVer="3" SMBIOSMinVer="0" SMBIOSBIOSVer="1.2.3" SMBIOSPresent="True" Rel_Date="20161201000000.000000+000" DSDVersion="8.4.0.5" Vendor="Dell Inc." PName="XPS 13 9360"

Then I updated directly to 1.3.4 after a few hours.

May 25th, 2017 07:00

There is a known issue out there. I had it with the 7370. From what I have read on this forum, it appears to have effected a lot of new BIOSes.  I would push DELL on it. It took them a couple of week to get an updated BIOS to us

No Events found!