Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

23 Posts

November 6th, 2003 01:00

Bootable USB Floppy

I am looking into buying a new laptop, however it seems that laptops that come with both CD ROM and FLOPPY drives (internal) are gone? From what I am reading on these forums is that only SOME dell inspiron laptops can BOOT from the USB floppy drives. Can someone please list out which models have the capability (out of the box, without requiring a BIOS flash) to boot from a usb floppy. Thanks!

MDColson

30 Posts

November 6th, 2003 16:00

I don't have 5150. But I beleave 5150 can also boot from USB port. Because it doesn't make sence if Dell makes so many models boot from USB port but just leaves 5150 alone. You can ask their technical support.

My experience was to copy the boot files on my compactflash card, and used the card with the USB card-reader to boot my i8500. It worked.

Message Edited by scyee841 on 11-06-2003 12:58 PM

23 Posts

I'm sorry if I was not clear before. I am wondering which DELL notebook models have the ability to boot from USB floppy? If someone doesn't know the whole list, do they know if the 5150 will?

MDColson

30 Posts

If I were you, I won't waste my money to buy an external USB floppy drive.  Nowadays, most of the notebook computers can be booted from USB ports, but they just don't carry floppy drives anymore.  Because floppy drives can only carry 1.44 mb data.  It just seems like a little pill for a big cow, it is just useless.  But if you really want to boot your notebook computer from the USB ports, you can buy a USB2.0 card-reader, any kind will do; and also buy a flash memory chip, be careful, the chip must match the card-reader.  There are six or eight kinds of flash memory chips on the market, it is just up to you.  Mine is a compactflash chip and compactflash card-reader, because that compactflash chip also matches my Canon camera.  Refers to botebook computers, don't worry.  Just go to any computer store, and see which model you like, then talk to the sales persons, let them show you the Bios window, from there, you can see if that notebook computer can be booted from USB port or not.

Message Edited by scyee841 on 11-06-2003 12:32 PM

No Events found!