Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2011 17:00

Brand new XPS 17 Internet connectivity problems

Hello,

I have a brand new, just out of the box XPS 17 with the Intel Centrino 1030 n wireless adapter, and I am experiencing some very frustrating problems with maintaining Internet connectivity. 

I lose my connection to the Internet somewhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes after connecting. If I restart the adapter or disconnect and reconnect to the network, I regain the connection, but only temporarily. I have searched for updated drivers, but I have the most up to date. I also have followed the instructions on another forum and changed the settings for power management when on battery mode, and that did not fix things, but shouldn't impact me anyway as I am using the power adapter and have not gone on battery. 

This is incredibly frustrating and is hampering my work. Any advice?

1 Message

June 29th, 2011 22:00

I have the same problem with my XPS 15 that arrived yesterday and has the same network card.  Hopefully someone has some suggestions.  I've tried adjusting radio power settings, band settings, etc. to no avail.  My recent attempt (which is apparently working just enough for me to post) was to change the "mixed" mode for my specific connection from Mixed to 2.4 GHz.  My network card can't seem to see the other Wireless N antenna that operates a network at 5.2 GHz - anyone know why those networks are hidden?  I like to connect to that antenna as it does better w/ my Apple Airport Express (as client) etc. as I live in a condo w/ lots of wifi congestion.  My access point is a newer Cisco router.

2 Posts

June 29th, 2011 22:00

jayce_7, I spent an hour on the phone with Dell tech support and the problem seems to be resolved for now. What he did was actually uninstalled the driver for the 1030n and then uninstalled the Intel ProSet software (before that he redownloaded the ProSet software, latest version, which was from like Jun 12 from the Dell website.) He also turned off the feature in Windows that prompts it to use Windows to search for a driver when it recognizes new hardware (he turned that feature back on after the process was completed.) Then he reinstalled the Intel software, did another reset of the computer, then finally the device worked and so far has continued working.

July 8th, 2011 02:00

I got my new XPS 15 and I realised that the wifi is not very fast. The download speed is very low. But I am getting very good download speed on my compaq laptop with OS Windows XP on same wifi network.

I tried to make few changes in the adapter settings and at one point I got a good download speed but not equal to what i was getting no my compaq laptop.

I changed the wireless mode (Adapter properties->advance tab) to 801.11b from 801.11 b/g. and the speed got up.

I had three options for wireless mode i.e. 801.11b, 801.11g and 801.11b/g. only 801.11b is working but showing only 11 MBPS.

1 Message

January 31st, 2012 12:00

Just got my Brand Spanking New Dell XPS 17 (702 model) and the internet wasnt working. Tried everything to try and get it to work but to no avail. Low signal or no signal--only worked when i was right next to the router.

Did some internet searches and heard about the wire(s) not being connected. Opened it up based on the instructions I found on another thread and sure enough, the white wire wasnt hooked up. Pushed the connector on and put the computer back together and....Internet worked like a charm.

WHAT MAKE ME REALLY ANGRY--is that DELL is a major corporation and to have LOTS (based on what i have read) of little Q&A problems like this just seems like lazy engineering and processes controls.

Hope this helps somebody else--now time for a clean install to get rid of all the BLOATWARE

Cheers

Henry

No Events found!