Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2017 14:00

Brand new but faulty Alienware 17-R4, upgrade voided warranty, NO HELP.

Hello. 

On 5th October, I purchased an Alienware 17-R4 with the specs: GTX 1080, i7-7820HK, 16GB ram and so on. I purchased this PC because my 2-3 year old Alienware 17-R2 didn't work, I could not get it fixed. So I decided to buy one of the newest edition on these PC's in hope that it would give me a nice time playing games. 

I don't remember when I got the PC, but I did way after the 30 day warranty for a new one, had ran out. The PC was perfect, worked all fine until it suddenly froze mid game, crashed and now have the same issues my previous PC had, or almost. Stuttering and freezing, poor performance. I contacted Support, and the Agent in the first place were not willing to help me much. 

When I got the PC, I placed in my own, Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2. According to the Agent, they couldn't help me anymore, since upgrading the PC will Void the warranty. But, according to this non-Dell source, Dell does NOT Void warranty after upgrade, which I trusted, and that's why I got my SSD. 

Now my BRAND new Alienware, is faulty, and does not work properly and Dell doesn't want to help me :(

For this price, I am treated like . To name the agent:  Didn't read what I wrote other than that I switched out my SSD. Which in the first place did not break my PC. I have reinstalled windows 3 times, reinstalled all the drivers, and still it acts like its 10 years old. I have NOT received what I payed 3460 USD or 28215 KR. Is there anyone who can please help me with this issue, it would be very very much appreciated. 

-Fox

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Simply reinstall the original drive and then call for warranty support. 

They CAN require you to reinstall the original drive before they'll render support. But the installation of the drive doesn't itself void the system warranty. The only way you might have trouble is if you no longer have the OEM drive to reinstall. If that's the case then you may be in for a round of finger-pointing.

I do have the original drive, and will reinstall it in the pc as long I get my pc fixed. thank you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 20:00

Replacing components on your PC does not void the warranty.  There are only a few exceptions:

- The Dell warranty would obviously not cover problems with parts that you purchased yourself.

- If you damaged something while installing your own parts, your warranty would not cover that damage.

- If the parts you installed CAUSED damage to something else (such as installing your own cooling upgrade and having an overheating problem that caused damage), then that damage would not be covered by a warranty.

72 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 21:00

Aren't there different m2 drives ?

November 22nd, 2017 23:00

its the same size as the one the pc came with, installing the SSD my self-did not cause the problem, I installed the SSD the day I got the pc, and it started to fail on me days after, and out of the blue. The pc works fine with boot and all that, BUT games.

I now run the pc in a clean boot environment, where nothing but the game is running, I have to run the game in lowest settings possible to get the closest to the performance the pc should give at highest settings.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 05:00

How is performance if you switch back to the original drive?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 06:00

It might also help to quantify this issue with actual benchmarks from your system that can be compared against reviews of that system to see how much lower your performance is. A test like 3DMark, for example.

November 23rd, 2017 08:00

There is no diffrence when switching back to the original drive.

If you could give me what benchmarks I should run then that would be great, and where to compare towards the same pc.

Thanks for the answers, all. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 10:00

I already suggested 3DMark above

November 23rd, 2017 11:00

Oh yes you did, thanks :)

No Events found!