Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2014 02:00

Broken Headphone Jack

My girlfriend was vacuuming and sucked the headphones out of my XPS 17 (L702X), which seems to have broken the headphone jack. The computer thinks that the headphones are always plugged into the jack which means no sound plays out of the speakers now.

When I plug headphones into the jack then sound plays through the headphones, but only through one ear. When I plug headphones into the second jack, then sounds comes through the headphones perfectly. 

I think the best fix would be to disable the headphone jack entirely, as it is just broken now. I can't really look into it, but I guess that when the headphones got sucked out they knocked a pin inside and now it thinks there's always something plugged in, so if I could move the pin back out then it should work again. 

Does anyone know how to disable a headphone jack? Or how to fix the actual jack itself?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 1st, 2014 05:00

Sorry - that link carried over from another post.  This is the part you'll need to replace:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=search&search=l702x+esata

That doesn't seem right. It doesn't have the same components as my laptop, nor is it listed as compatible. 

Are you sure replacing the motherboard is the best thing to do? Seems very expensive and drastic if there could be another fix.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Oops -- sorry, I posted before seeing ejn63's reply. I will update the FAQ with the information about the circuit board. (Thanks Edward.)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

This is the part you'll need to replace:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=6035

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Hello. The jack on your model is part of the motherboard and if you were under warranty Dell would replace the MB to replace the jack. I don't know if you can tinker with it or not on your model.

Section 1 of the Headphone Jack FAQ describes the problem. Section 5 has some possible workarounds.

April 1st, 2014 07:00

Doesn't matter, called up Dell and bought a new IO circuit board. The one that ejn63 suggested. Cost me £56 exlc. service charges.

Thanks for the help!

No Events found!