Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2009 06:00

Broken Hinge on my Dell Laptop Inspiron - 1525

The hinge on the left side is separated so I cannot left the screen all the way up. This system is only a couple of years old. What can be done to fix this problem?

Thanks, Ralph

March 1st, 2013 18:00

Call and report them t the Better Business Bureau and they will fix your problem.

7 Posts

May 11th, 2013 15:00

I used to fix laptops back in the nineties and this was very, very common on the old IBM Thinkpads. I repaired dozens of them over a two-year period. It's disgraceful how Dell didn't look into quality controlling their hinge assemblies! No excuses. None whatsoever.

1 Message

November 12th, 2013 00:00

Same problem here and when I called up dell, they asked me to replace back cover, hinges and bottom base.

Seriously I did not expect dell to use such cheap quality parts.

They quoted a hefty price for these plastics replacement with 3 months ONLY guarantee :-(

November 12th, 2013 09:00

This was our experience:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19507913/20378699.aspx#20378699

It took a great battle to get DELL to replace our broken hinge under warranty - on a computer that was only ever used normally.

and "disgraceful service" on the part of DELL does not adequately express our feelings.  No compensation for the loss of our computer for several weeks whatsoever.  We finally had to replace the DELL laptop (since we didn't have the Inspiron operational) something which would not have been necessary if DELL had investigated the problem and solved it in any reasonable amount of time  :-.( 

1 Message

March 13th, 2014 00:00

Hi Ralph - this is not covered under warranty.  My laptop is less than one year old and the exact same issue is happening.  Dell said - tough - we don't cover it.  The will however email me a quote for the parts and labour to fix it.

They said it is normal wear and tear - I strongly disagree its is normal for a computer less than one year old to have a hinge separate from the base.

If it is normal for Dell then their products are not worth buying. 

3 Posts

March 13th, 2014 02:00

RIPOFFPURCHASE keep pushing them, that what I did, including trading standards and it worked. They said that on this occasion they are going to fix it. 

In the act of sales of goods it says that goods have to be reasonable quality  - and it the hinges do not last for a year (which is time of the warranty) it is clear that it does not meet that point. 

I think you can easily argue this with them and have it fixed. It is a laptop and design is to open it and close - that is normal use, so hinges should be able to support such usage.

Good luck

1 Message

June 3rd, 2016 07:00

sir, mam',

i have a old "DELL" laptop, and i find its hinge joint is broken. How can i get impairment for this problem? Please help me as soon as possible. 

1 Message

January 1st, 2017 23:00

My two identical laptops both have broken screens due to a weakness in the hinge area. They are still under warranty but Dell excluded this issue and wants me to pay for a repair. You could also purchase an extended warranty and it still may not be covered. I say I shouldn't have purchased a Dell. Why does Dell sell a product that can't be used in a normal way?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2017 11:00

You'll find hinges a problem with all notebooks - Macs, Dells, HPs, etc.

h30434.www3.hp.com/.../4876921

January 2nd, 2017 11:00

Our Dell Inspiron has a broken hinge for the SECOND time. The laptop has hardly ever even been moved from the desk: it has certainly not been mistreated. We have replaced it with an HP.   There is clearly either a manufacturing or conceptual fault on these hinges. To add insult to injury DELL refuse to repair under guarantee.

1 Message

March 12th, 2017 10:00

my Dell Inspiron is less than a year old,  It isn't abused, and the lid stayed up most of the time on a desk in the house. One day when it was closed to move it out of the way the left hinge froze, and the screen started to come apart. I called Dell and was informed this was normal wear and tear,,, normal my ***. I took it to a local repair shop who said the parts are not available... So much for an extended warranty not covered there either.  First and last time we buy a dell fishing weight.

No Events found!