Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

7 Posts

January 8th, 2005 06:00

Buzzing Sound on Microphone

Hi,

Whenever I call people using my 700m computer with a headset, the receiving end would always get a buzzing sound. This is true when I tested by recording a sound clips using the Sound Recorder in Accessories. Any idea why that is? Is there something wrong with the input?

Thanks in advance.

February 14th, 2005 21:00

I have the same problem with my 700m. My guess it's a shielding problem internally as I have tried a few different microphones.

Short of sending it back, perhaps a USB headset is the solution. Dell should pay for it however .

354 Posts

February 15th, 2005 03:00

Sounds like shielding - is your system grounded?  I also wonder if the connector is seating properly within the jack.  I've noticed sometimes that if I don't make sure that the jack goes all the way in to the plug, I can get noise or hum on the headphones or mic.

35 Posts

February 15th, 2005 09:00

I got the same problem.

So, I got a USB bluetooth usb adapter and a bluetooth headset... Now I can talk with my sister on Skype without noise...

February 15th, 2005 10:00

Turns out that deselecting the Microphone boost setting from the control panel solved the problem.

April 1st, 2005 02:00

I have the same problem of buzzing.   Anyone have an answer?

April 2nd, 2005 22:00

That may be great, re the USB and the audio card, but I paid for a working jack.  I had to go out and buy a USB headset for 90 buck and then I wasted 20 bucks on the Walmart set which I can't take back because I threw out the receipt and the box it came in.  So I am out $110 plus my TIME....the time is what really grabs me....Nobody gives a Fiddler's (blank) about our time.....they get paid, we get paid, but who pays us when we have to fool arouind with something as simple as a ten cent mic plug and a garbage grounding job.  Who pays us for our lost time?????? Dell????????

April 2nd, 2005 22:00

You will never get it fixed!!!!!  It is a design flaw!!!!!!

Sgtfletcher

April 3rd, 2005 04:00

I agree. I'm just going to have the technician take care of it. it's not worth my time nor my money.

April 3rd, 2005 13:00

Yes, you are wise to have a tech fix the problem, but this falls squarely in the lap of Dell.  They know about the flaw and yet they continue to produce these machines a record rate.  I have it from a good source that they never figured users would be using those imputs with USB available, but they guessed wrong.   And, one other thing...if you break a USB headset, it will set you back a lot more than the tradition 1/8" plugs, no?

Look for posts from other users.

Sgt. Fletcher

April 3rd, 2005 16:00

I never had any problem with my 600m, and I liked the fact it had an external mic and I wouldn't have to use a headset. I primarily use the mic with Skype, but the receiving end hear a buzzing sound everytime I talk into it. Pretty annoying...

April 3rd, 2005 16:00

Hello there!

I read your post with interest.   

My point is that somewhere along the line, someone with a little electronics zachel should have known that you have to ground the plug to the chassis.   Now, if they say that the plastic would prevent a good ground and this is true with all notebooks, they are wrong.   There is enough drain to other parts to avoid this problem.   I just think it was a technical compromise.   But, in all honest, I feel sorry for those guys (and gals) who have field calls about this problem and go through the usual diagnostics when the problem is not solvable at their end.  

By the way, I have been assured that replacing the motherboard will ameliorate the buzzing.  And, if you look at other posts in different areas, you will find many users with the same problem;  many of whom have changed the mother-of-all-boards and still have the same problem.  One girl purchased over 5 mics and still had the same problem!

And, another by-the-way, I sent the tech support an email asking them if they ever look at their own community forum on their own website.  I am still waiting for an answer to that one. 

Best rgrds to all posters and keep in posting about this problem since it is not going to go away any more than the Earth is going to get knocked out of its orlbit in the next 3 years.

Sgt. Fletcher

No Events found!