Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2017 12:00

Camera on Inspiron 15 5567

Hi,

I have just come to use the camera on my relatively new Dell Inspiron 5567 and it is now working in any application (e.g. Camera, Skype). In Skype, checking video causes the camera LED to illuminate but no picture is visible.

In Device Manager, the device is present (Integrated Webcam) and is driver version 10.0.14393.82. I have removed and re-added the device. In Windows 10, the camera is available in Privacy settings.

I have run the Dell Diagnostics utility for the camera, and the results are:

RGB Pixel Test
 Failed

RGB Line Driver Test
 Failed

RGB Channel Test
 Failed

RGB Line Amplifier Test
 Failed

RGB Color Depth Test
 Failed

Luminance Depth Test
 Failed

Edge Detection Test
 Failed

Capture To Screen Test
 Passed

Capture To File Test
 Passed

I can't see anything obvious that I'm missing. Has anyone else seen anything similar?

Cheers,
Matt

532 Posts

February 21st, 2017 12:00

Hi Matt,

Welcome to our community.

1. A blank, black or dark screen can be caused by low light conditions or if the webcam is in the wrong mode. Make sure to use the webcam in a well-lighted area.

2.  Adjust the brightness setting in the Skype software, for more information refer to the Skype website.

Also, private message the following details, so that we can check for more information. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

· Your Order#/Customer#/Service Tag/Express Service Code,

· The name the order was placed under,

. Email address

5 Posts

February 21st, 2017 13:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The webcam fault is not due to low lighting. In Skype, the video window is grey with a spinning circle, as if the application cannot aquire the camera. No other application works either.

I have tried the registry hack which was sometimes can fix the issue after for some cameras on Windows 10 Anniversay Edition, but this does not work in my instance.

This is the first time I've tried to use the camera, so I cannot tell whether it's a recent issue, or whether the camera has never functioned. The fact that the Diagnostics' hardware tests are failing suggests it could be a hardware issue.

All the drivers appear to be correct and up-to-date and working (and I've installed at the latest chipset and BIOS updates).

(PM'd with hardware details).

Cheers,
Matt

532 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 12:00

Thank you for sharing the details Matt. We’ve responded to your Private message. We value your business with us.

No Events found!