Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2015 20:00

Can't Read Blank CD/DVD's - Dell E5440 - HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N

Hi all,

I work within a school where we use a customised Windows 8.1 x64 build on our brand new Dell E5440's. We are experiencing issues across a majority of the devices where when a blank and unformatted disc is inserted into the drive the device fails to read/write the disc and windows explorer stops responding. When this occurs the physical eject button on the drive becomes unresponsive and the only way to eject the disk is to use a paper clip in the manual release hole.

The CD/DVD drive is a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N. The driver the device uses is an embedded Microsoft driver, version 6.3.9600.16384.

I have tested the drive within a PE and it works fine, I've also tested a vanilla install of Windows 8.1 x64 and the drive works fine in this too.

Has anyone seen this issue or have any suggestions for what I can try?

I have tried the support tool from support.microsoft.com/.../en-us ;but this didn't work either. 

1 Message

March 26th, 2015 20:00

Hi James,

I too am experiencing this issue! It is quite frustrating! I hope someone from Dell can provide us a driver or some support towards resolving this. It's happening across my whole fleet of 5440's.

Thanks, LvW

No Events found!