Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2009 19:00

Can't get laptop to make printer work.

New Inspiron 15 with 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium and Dell 725 printer is suppose to be compatiable. I have downloaded correct drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled three times, used two different USB cables, and it will not print. Printer shows up under printers, is default printer, and shows to working properly. When I try to print, it gives me a communications error message. I have used the troubleshooting, and it can not find the problem. Please, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2009 22:00

Bill,

Welcome back! If you follow the instructions located at...

725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread

You'll need to make sure all the printer drivers are removed and restart your computer before installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 29th, 2009 09:00

bicyclebill1,

Did this computer come with Windows 7 or did you upgrade it?

Try going to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number and look for the chipset drivers and install them. Also look under system utilities and download and install the notebook utility. If you cannot find them under Windows 7, then use the Vista drivers as Windows 7 is backward compatible.

After the computer is restarted, then try disconnecting the computer, uninstalling the printer with the patch and manual delete the printer drivers, then restart the computer, again.

Now try installing the printer in the compatibility mode using the Vista drivers.

Rick

623 Posts

December 29th, 2009 09:00

I tried everything you said....twice. It shows the printer in the printer and faxes folder as working properly, but it gives me an error 30 message when I try to print, and will not print. On install, when I get to the screen that says connect your USB, I connect it, and the installing message comes up at the bottom right of the screen, but the connect USB screen never disappearers, nor does it ever light up the next button.

Suggestions??

623 Posts

December 29th, 2009 10:00

It came with Windows 7 from Dell. When I download the drivers for Vista, I assume I need to use the 64 bit Vista version since this laptop has 64 bit windows 7, right?

623 Posts

December 29th, 2009 11:00

This laptop came with McAffee installed, and I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to turn it off, and turn off the firewalls. No success. Can you tell me how to do that, and then I will try one more time.

Thanks,

623 Posts

Did all that. Now when I plug in the USB for the printer when instructed to, it goes to installing device driver, and starts spinning, finally completes and tells me the driver installed properly. Printer shows up in control panel as working properly, but does not print. Went to troubleshooter and ran it. It said proper driver was not installed, but then it said it did succeeded in installing it. Still will not print. I am about to chunk a perfectly good printer and go get a new one, but how on earth do I know what will work with Windows 7 on this computer. I could have the same problem with a new one. Very frustrating.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

bicyclebill1,

Turn off all firewalls and virus programs and try it one more time. Sometime these programs prevent installing the printer and turnoing them off works most of the time.

Did you install the drivers in the compatibility mode? Maybe try using XP instead of Vista?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Bill,

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

623 Posts

December 29th, 2009 14:00

Did all that. Same results. I did notice that when I went to printer maintainence to try to print a test page, it is grayed out, and I can not activate any maaintainence buttons. Everything else shows up just like it should. It just doesn't communicate.

623 Posts

December 29th, 2009 15:00

Thanks Rick. I posted it over there. We shall  see. If I get it to work, I will post back here.

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 29th, 2009 15:00

Bill,

I gave this my best shot. Maybe someone else would like to try. Try posting about the printer in the Dell Printers Forum and maybe someone else there can help you. This is one printer that I still do not have anyone else telling me that they got it working with Windows 7. I have a list of the printers listed at...

Welcome! Information about Dell's Inkjet, All-In-One Printers

and I still do not have a (W7) after it, which means no one else has tried this yet.

Rick

623 Posts

January 1st, 2010 17:00

This problem is still not solved. Cann anyone help me?

No Events found!