Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

February 17th, 2005 04:00

Can't get projector to recognize input from Dell Inspiron laptop computer

I can't get my brand new Sanyo Multimedia Projector (PLC-XU25A) to recognize the incoming image signal from my Dell Inspiron laptop computer.  I also can't get any technical support either from Sanyo or from the dealer, so I am throwing myself on your mercy.  Can anybody help me figure this out?

The cable provided with the projector is a DVI-VGA cable; the primary computer input terminal on the projector is DVI.  The projector also has a VGA terminal that can be set for computer input, but they didn't provide a VGA-VGA cable.

We're using the DVI-VGA cable provided with the projector.  We've tried turning on the projector and computer in different sequences. I am using the Function/F8 toggle key to send the image to the projector. The toggle key seems to work (every third toggle the monitor on the laptop goes black, as if it is mirroring the image to the projector, but the projector can't recognize it.  The lamp works fine; we can't get projector to recognize incoming signal from computer. Problem with DVI-VGA cable? What should we do next?

I just read one website (for people using projectors at a university facility) that warns that if the laptop is set to 32 bit color instead of 16 bit color, it could keep the laptop from mirroring to the projector.  Should I be worried about that?  Should I go out and buy a VGA-VGA cable to connect the laptop to the projector? 

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!

THANKS.

271 Posts

February 17th, 2005 05:00

The thing is that the primary display forces it's resolution onto the secondary one, so if your projector does not support that resolution you won't have any video on it. Try turning your resolution way down. Also try changing the projector to the primary display.

This won't happen if you put it into extended desktop mode, there you can independently adjust the resolutions on both displays.

Message Edited by jjbuckaroo on 02-17-2005 01:14 AM

7 Posts

February 17th, 2005 16:00

Thanks.  I'll go read up on primary display and extended desktop mode.

I was careful to purchase an XGA projector so that I could use the highest resolution possible on my computer (I'm a photographer who cares about image resolution).

February 17th, 2005 16:00

You keep talking about the projector recognizing the laptop's input, but are you sure that the laptop is recognizing the projector as a possible display device? Are you re-booting the computer once the connection is made? Is the projector showing up in Display Properties - Settings - Advanced - Displays tab?

7 Posts

February 17th, 2005 17:00

Thanks Martini.

When I reboot the laptop after it is connected to the projector, and go to Control Panel/Display/Settings/Monitor, I see "multiple monitors on Intel.....graphics card", but when I go to Avanced Settings, I see only Flat Panel Display (1024 x 768). 

How do I get the laptop to recognize the projector as a display option?

THANKS.

379 Posts

February 17th, 2005 21:00

Which Inspiron do you have?
Try this:

Start with the computer and projector off.
Connect and turn only the projector on and let it warm up and start searching for a signal.
Turn the computer on.
Best case....the computer will see the projector and send a signal.
If not, make sure the computer display is set to 1024x768...which may be your native resolution anyway.  However, that projector will handle 1280x1024 (SXGA).
Now try the Fn+F8 toggle.

Post your results and we'll go from there.

..................TD

7 Posts

February 17th, 2005 22:00

I have an Inspiron 1100.  The projector and the laptop are connected using the DVI-VGA cable.  The projector is set to look for a signal from Computer 1.  The projector is turned on and has started its 5 minute countdown looking for a signal.

I booted my laptop.  I have the resolution set to XGA, which is the native resolution.  I used the Fn-F8 toggle switch.  The projector still doesn't see any signal from the laptop.  The laptop still doesn't know it is connected to a projector.

Next step?

379 Posts

February 17th, 2005 23:00

Try this while connected:

Right click on the Desktop, select Graphics Options/Output To/Intel(R) Dual Display Clone/click Monitor + Notebook

If you don't have these options you should update your video driver either from Dell or from Intel.
I use the drivers from Intel on my Latitude X300 with no problems and they are usually more recent.

The cable would be the first suspect.  It may not be adapting the signal correctly.
Do you have access to another notebook to try?
You can try using a regular VGA cable from a desktop system for testing.  If you pruchased the projector locally you should be able to get the cable tested or even exchanged.
VGA/VGA cables aren't expensive and would be good to have one anyway.

.................TD

7 Posts

February 18th, 2005 04:00

THANK YOU ALL!

First I selected the Dual Display Clone/Monitor + Notebook setting as TD suggested.

That didn't solve the problem by itself, though it may have been an important contribution to the solution.

Then my husband brought home a VGA-VGA cable and we set up the VGA terminal on the projector as input for "Computer 2."

Voila:  Projector displays the monitor image!

Unless somebody thinks this would be less than optimal, I think we'll continue to use the VGA-VGA cable as the connector between the laptop and projector, using the setting Input from Computer 2.

You guys are great!
No Events found!