Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2009 21:00

Can the WWAN Mini PCIe slot use for SSD ???

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude system.  I don't have WWAN card, so I have that WWAN Mini PCIe slot empty.

I'd like to know if I can insert a SSD with Mini PCIe connection to increase the storage capacity.  It doesn't have to boot from it.  But I wonder if the system would detect it as a regular USB drive like device. 

Any idea?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

February 12th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

yes, quite an old post but it may be helpful to others :)

At the time you asked, Samsung was just announcing a solution that would have worked for you. In fact, it could be tricky to choose a right one but now there are a lot of suitable solutions on the market from Samsung, OCZ and others. Remember that Google remains your best friend for deeper search ;)

The key point is to pick up one of these SSDs with an internal (built-in) SATA or PATA controller. Because most of PCI-e SSD's are designed for netbooks that do have a SATA or PATA controller connected to the PCI-e slot so that they can use SSD PCIe cards. Notebooks (laptops) do NOT have such SATA bridges and PCI-e port on these machines are intended to exchange PCI-e flows instead of SATA messages. Because of this, laptops must rely on the built-in controller of the SSD PCi-e card to interface properly with the PCi-e connector.

You do not need to boot from that SSD drive but you might change your mind once you discover high speep world. In such case your BIOS must be able to manage an option to boot from PCI-e slot on one hand, and the SSD's SATA/PATA built-in controller must report to the the PC's BIOS that it handles a bootable disk. Maybe this can only be checked once the SSD PCI-e card is inserted in the machine then recognized by the BIOS to be a boot option.

If you can't afford SLC technology given your capacity needs, you should worry about durability of your MLC technology-based SSD. Some tips for system specific settings will be helpful depending on the OS you use. Anyway, especially if you plan to setup several partitions on your SSD and/or reformat it, you should also consider partition(s) alignment to enjoy the best experience from your addtional disk. But all this is another story.

Kind regards from France

70 Posts

April 28th, 2011 12:00

Does anyone know what the make/model (or specs) of the mini SSD that Dell was putting into the Precision M6500 Laptop? They just now discontinued putting this drive for some reason. Much appreciated,

64Dude

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 28th, 2011 13:00

Most of them are Samsung SSDs.  The M6500 is being replaced, so it's likely that's why the options are disappearing.

70 Posts

June 6th, 2011 18:00

The m6500 and m6600 take mini SATA (mSATA) SSD card. enj63 is right, Dell provides the Samsung 64GB or 128GB models. I did find a great 128 GB (and a 64 GB) mSATA for a better price, mydigital Bulletproof at www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-128gb-50mm-bullet-proof-msata-ssd. Note the Renice listed here did NOT work in the M6500.

64Dude

1 Message

July 9th, 2011 21:00

CAN YOU DO THIS WITH ANY ORDINARY LAPTOP MINI -PCIE IF YOU CAN DO YOU KNOW OF ANMINI PCIE SSD WITH BUILT IN SATA CONTROLLERS THAT WOULD WORK

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 08:00

Hi,

given the time of your post, would your have a D-series model or a E-series one? In case of a D-series, no way to use a WWAN slot for a SSD. In case of a E-series, il would be possible, but not with all models and it would require a true Gen2 PCIe interface for the SSD.

As an example, some people have reported to be successful using and even booting from a SSD of Super Talent CoreStore MV series . It will not work with any SSD designed with a mSATA interface like Samsung P800 series. These mSATA SSD are specifically designed for some models from Dell (Mini 9), ASUS eeePC and other netbooks. Not for actual laptops.

Cheers from France

4 Posts

September 29th, 2012 13:00

Sorry for the revive of this thread (yet again!)

I've just replaced the main HDD on a Dell Latitude D820 and it boots in amazing time (for a Sata I controller).

I'm looking at doing the same for my wife's D820, but have just read about the Mini PCI-e slots.

She has one free.

Will the Dell Latitude D820 boot from the Mini PCi-e slot? Has anyone ever used a SSD in a mini PCI-e slot?

Thanks,

-Andy

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

September 29th, 2012 16:00

@andysuth: have a look of previous posts and you will see that putting a SSD in the WWAN PCIe port of your wife's D820 will not work/

Here is a summary of all that has been discussed here: forum.notebookreview.com/.../424628-bootable-mini-pcie-sata-ssd-dell-d820.html

Cheers from France

No Events found!