Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

ES

January 27th, 2016 21:00

Change (upgrade) display screen resolution on Inspiron 15 3552

I recently got a new Inspiron 15 which comes with a resolution of 1336x768.  It's not a bad resolution, though I'm coming from FHD and I have to admit that I miss the resolution.

I've been looking around online and have seen a few people post about "upgrading" their displays with some success if they make sure to do their homework on what's compatible.  So, in that spirit I've been trying to do some of my own homework, though it's a bit difficult because this laptop model is relatively new and inexpensive so not likely that many will "feature" it for teardowns or experiments such as this.

I've researched enough to know the CPU (SoC with graphics) will support FHD and I'm capable enough to do a full laptop teardown, change parts out and build it back up again.  What I don't know yet is if the screen from the Inspiron 15 7559 line (which is the only Inspiron 15 line that offers FHD) would fit in the 3552.

My hope is that Dell wouldn't want to manufacture lots of different pieces so would make their lines similar enough that things may just plug in fine.  However, without someone at Dell or who has seen the hardware themselves to say if the mounting brackets and connector/board/etc... are similar enough that they would work I don't really want to spend $150 on a replacement screen I can't use or return.

So, can anyone tell me if the construction of the mounts and position of the connectors and such for the 3552 model are the same as the 7559 model?  If there's pictures too, that would be a bonus.  I would have no problems doing a video of the upgrade if it's possible so that others can benefit from this too.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 28th, 2016 02:00

A higher resolution screen will require a new internal video wiring harness as well as the screen - and that may not be available for your model.  Don't count on parts from the 7000 series fitting the 3000 series -- remember, notebooks are not made by Dell (or any others whose name is on the outside, for the most part).  They're contract-manufactured by a few large Taiwan-based ODMs like Foxconn, Pegatron, Wistron, Compal and Quanta.  The two systems may have been made by two completely different manufacturers.

What you want to do will also void your warranty as well, if that's a consideration.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2016 14:00

If the internal wiring routes are similar with the 17, its cable may work... if it carries only video (and isn't also used for webcam and other stuff).

Starting to look more and more like I just won't have a concrete answer until I see inside both models.

5 Posts

I had read that a new cable may be required as well, as the lower res doesn't require as many pins.  I was not aware of different manufacturers between models though, so that's good info to have.

I wasn't counting on things to just work though - that's why I decided to ask here.  This model, Inspiron 15 3552, seems to be new enough that there's no internal pictures floating around, not to mention not many people in general decide to upgrade or even replace laptop screens and take pictures of it to go online.

My hope was that someone here maybe has knowledge or pictures from the manufacturing perspective, making it a little easier to confirm if things would work or not.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

This model has no option for a higher-resolution screen -- it's highly unlikely you will be able to find the parts to fit one (there won't be a wiring harness for it).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2016 15:00

The wiring harness for the display will indeed also connect to the webcam.

No Events found!