Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2011 20:00

Computrace Absolute software

Can anyone tell the procedure to have Absolute software computrace removed from my studio xps 1340? I do not take my laptop out of my house and even if I did my privacy is more important to me. I did not approve or agree to have this self regenerating spyware installed on my machine and I want it off. I purchased the machine on my Dell card so I can prove I am the owner. I will NEVER buy another Dell or any Laptop with something like this installed on it. I am shocked they are allowed to do this and the company be so unresponsive to customers who request it be taken off. Can anyone help and if not would anyone care to buy a discounted xps1340?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 14th, 2011 00:00

overbet,

Not exactly sure of the removal procedure.

Hit the Windows key and the R keys at the same time. Type

msconfig

Hit enter, then click on startup. Look for the computrace in the startup list and uncheck it.

Restart your computer.

You should no longer get a message about computrace. Now got to start, control panel, add/remove programs and you should be able to uninstall it from your computer.

Rick

1 Message

March 16th, 2011 21:00

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately they have imbedded this big brother spyware into the bios and Dell has allowed them to do so.  If anyone has any idea how to get rid of it I would love to hear it. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 17th, 2011 02:00

overbet1,

Did you try removing it in the safe mode?

Also try reading THIS ARTICLE.

Rick

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 00:00

I can help you remove it but i would need your bios file. Please Pm me to get for the bypass method.

No Events found!