Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2017 19:00

Copying CD

Hello.  Can someone please tell me how to copy audio files from a CD to my laptop so that I can then copy them to another CD?  I tried to do this and received an error message from Windows Media that the files could not be played.  These are phone message files that are on a CD from my late father, and I am trying to make a copy of these messages for my brother.  Can someone please help me?  Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 16th, 2017 20:00

For an ideal copy, use a tool like ImgBurn. Tell it to capture the CD to an image/ISO file, then afterward have it burn that image/ISO file to a blank disc. What you’re doing now in terms of copying individual tracks to your hard drive is called ripping, and that’s useful if you want to store the audio on your PC in easily playable format, but most applications default to using a compressed audio format that reduces quality, and when you burn tracks back to disc that way, you can lose things like gapless playback between tracks that existed on the original. An exact disc copy like ImgBurn preserves full quality and things like that.

53 Posts

November 17th, 2017 13:00

Have you tried VLC player to listen to the media files? it's a long shot but it may work. Are you able to select the files and copy them to a folder on your hard drive. I have no idea of the configuration or age of your computer but I successfully copied media files back when I had Windows XP just by using copy and paste. Sorry when re- reading you comment I see you need to copy files to a CD. Do you know the format of these files? there are other programs out there that can burn a CD, Windows media player is just basic and cannot play all formats. Another idea is to put the files on a USB stick

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 17th, 2017 13:00

^ If the CD in question is an actual audio CD that would be playable in a basic CD player, as opposed to a CD that contains MP3/WAV files on it, then copy/paste wouldn't work, nor would putting the files on a USB stick until they were ripped using a suitable application.  I just figured that if the audio was already on a CD and the goal was to make another one, ImgBurn was the easiest way to go.

Anyhow, if you find that even an ImgBurn copy doesn't work, chances are that the CD isn't in great shape.  In that case, you can try cleaning the underside of the disc using a lint-free cloth and regular water; apply gentle straight-line motions from the center of the disc surface to the outside edge, then thoroughly dry the disc before trying it again.  If it still doesn't work, not all CD/DVD drives are created equal when it comes to reading from problematic discs, so if you haven't already, try it in another PC.  Desktop CD/DVD drives tend to be better at handling problematic discs than laptop drives, in my experience.  I once had to copy an audio CD for a friend under similar circumstances as you, and one of my optical drives couldn't read it at all, while the other read it as if it were in perfect condition.

53 Posts

November 17th, 2017 14:00

Some of the CD creators in the past had a utility to check the CD for errors. I am not sure what software came with the optical drive but I also would check with a regular CD to see if the drive will read it. It is known that the laser fails to function after a certain time due to age.

No Events found!