Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

7 Posts

November 1st, 2005 12:00

D600: XP OS Clean Install drivers' installation order

My local Dell techsupport person gave me the order in which the computer's system drivers are to be installed after I do a clean install of XP. He missed giving me one of the drivers and on checking the US Dell website to download it, noticed that the suggested order on the website is quite different. Who is correct?

On going through the process of using the Dell System Profiler on my computer, noticed other items under the Hardware list have not been included in the device drivers to install, eg USB controllers, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, USB Human Interface Device (mouse), Intel 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller-24CA. Do I also need to download any drivers for these items? Bought my machine secondhand and I would say most of these are leftovers.

In similar vein, the Network card installed on my computer and listed in Device Manager under Adapters is the Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller -- Packet Scheduler Miniport. However, the techsupport person has suggested one called Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Network Card (R107518) which is a different driver from that installed. Are they the same, or is R107518 an upgrade of the device? I am connected to the internet via ADSL Broadband on ethernet cable at home using an external modem, a Siemens SpeedStream 4200. This is not a wireless connection (Telstra, Australia).

As well, do I really need to be concerned about installing the Wireless driver at present, as will not be upgrading to a wireless connection in the foreseeable future?

Finally, currently installed drivers are working fine. It has been suggested by Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User newsgroup community person to use the current drivers and not update. I am concerned about possible conflicts of the updated drivers (there would be seven updates) (current drivers do not conflict) with XP, and also, after the clean install, with Windows Product Activation and the limits in upgrades before my computer would be regarded as a different machine. I have the current driver numbers located in the Dell Drivers folder;  would I be able to download them again from the US website as a better process (I haven't checked yet).

1.5K Posts

November 1st, 2005 13:00

You can return to Dell Product Support; Downloads & Drivers at any time, it is always best to do that to be
sure to get the latest versions (previous versions also available).

The most critical item is to FIRST install your Chipset Drivers to insure proper install of other drivers.
A lot of the Dell Drivers are considered by many as "bloat..." like if you don't care to have all of your
Fn (function) keys working, do not install QuickSet.

A "FileWatch" Email was received on Sept. 2nd of this year on a new Driver from Dell.

"...New File Available on Dell's File Library (R107518) File Date: 2005-08-31 File Category:
Network Drivers Supported Devices: Broadcom-570x Gigabit Integrated Controller Release Type:
Dell Version: A03
Vendor Version: 8.27.1
Supported Operating Systems: MicrosoftWindows 2000,MicrosoftWindows XP Supported Languages:
File Description: NDIS 5 and NDIS 5.1 driver release for the Broadcom 570x Gigabit
Integrated Controller
Fixes and Enhancements: This release adds support for the Broadcom 5705 A5 version Network Controller..."

Certainly only install drivers needed for your system, Windows comes with a lot of generic drivers and your
HID (Touchpad) is one prime example of where it will work Ok with a Windows generic ps2 Driver but will work
a LOT Better with your Driver from Dell installed. An even better example would be your Video Driver (Monitor
Drivers are only for external display use) it will work with a Windows Driver, but you will not like how it
looks until you install the Proper Driver for Your System.

I do not think that any number of Dell Driver installs would have any effect on Microsoft limits on OS installs.

I did run into a need to contact MS once after a complete format and re-install of XP to a previous VAIO unit
and that was due to confusion with 'Ohs' and 'Zeros' Microsoft said "No vowels in product activation codes".

Message Edited by Art on 11-01-2005 10:30 AM

7 Posts

November 4th, 2005 14:00

Thank you, Art, for your comforting style of reply!  I think you have correctly guessed that I am not an IT professional...therefore, my need for this type of question.  Perhaps if I listed the drivers that were suggested to be installed, you could tell me what I really need?  Here goes:

Install

7 Posts

November 4th, 2005 15:00

Thank you, Art, for your comforting style of reply!  I think you have correctly guessed that I am not an IT professional...therefore, my need for this type of question.  Perhaps if I listed the latest drivers that were suggested to be installed, you could tell me what I really need?  Here goes, including the suggested order they are to be installed:

Tech.  Dell US

1            1               Dell Notebook System software (R96945)
2            2               Intel Mobile Chipset (R58370)
3            5               Sigmatel STAC9750 AC97 Audio driver (R90698)
4            6               Conexant D480 MDCv.92 Modem (R104084) (currently installed)
5            7               Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Network card (R107518)
6            8               Dell TrueMobile 1400 Internal Dualband WLAN card (R102319) (for Japan only)
7            4               ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (R98704) (currently installed)
8            3               02Micro 02711ECI PCMCIA/SmartCard controller (R85239)
?            ?               Alps GlidePoint/Stick Pointer Touchpad (Apoint)(R89598)(currently installed)

One other question that has since come to mind is, do the removable DVD/CD-ROM and floppy drives require their own drivers?  It hasn't been mentioned nor could I find anything in the Dell Drivers folder.

Regarding WPA;  I was having difficulty with language and the terms 'hardware' and 'drivers'.  I have been directed to a very good article by the late revered MS-MVP Alex Nichol regarding this subject, which has cleared up this matter for me.  You may care to read it for your own information:  http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php, entitled Windows Product Activation on WindowsXP, version 3.1 last updated Apr11 2005.  Your comments in your reply were appropriate, thank you.

PS:  What is a corporate pilot?

1.5K Posts

November 4th, 2005 19:00

Thank you for the article on WPA, I will keep that for help in any future contact with MS Activate:)

As a Corporate Pilot, I operate the Flight Department for a Corporation as well as being the pilot.

We have many locations scattered around the Eastern US and far from Airline served Airports, given
the value to the Corporation of key employees time, it is cost effective to provide our own air
transportation to airports near those locations.

Those 'remote' locations also keep me far from any assistance from our IT Department and my
Aviation related usage is not what they would be familiar with anyway, so I need to be able
to keep my computing knowledge up to support the Flight Department. A look at the photo
post linked in my sig. "WXGA on a WUXGA..." will give some idea of some unique software
that I deal with.

As for your list, I had always heard that Chipset Drivers were first, but I would defer to
your two opinions for NSS to be first. The order of the following should not matter.

I would lead with ALPS Driver for #3 and then Video, for the rest, you only need a
modem driver if you have a modem and want to be able to use it, same goes for Network.
No idea why they would suggest you install the "Japan only" WLAN, this should agree
with the WiFi Hardware you have installed. It is important to choose a Driver (usually
best to use the latest from the Dell "Downloads & Drivers for your system) that is
appropriate to your installed Hardware, my LM Video would operate Ok on the
recommended Dell Driver, but if I wanted 16bit instead of 64k colors, I needed to
install (also from Dell) a later Video Driver that was for just the last few LM's
produced.

My D800 needs (under Chipset Drivers) a Texas Instrument Chipset installed 'up-front'
as well, know nothing about what a D600 might need:(

I do believe that DVD/CD-ROM needs a special Driver (for DVD anyway) my Sony floppy
drive installed and runs fine on a WinXP included Driver.
No Events found!