Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2013 23:00

DELL 1555 , not booting, no beep sound

hi,

My dell studio 1555 model doesn't boot up, when i press power button,backlit keypad glows,but no display in lcd monitor.

I try LCD diagnose by pressing D and power power, it shows various colors flashing in my screen,

I try by pitting on my laptop for long duration, after 12 hrs when excessive get heated all , display appear and work normally but just after 1 or 2 hrs it gone my showing vertical lines and with continuous beep sound,

Kindly suggest what i do ?

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

September 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi binay_123kumar,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Remove the adapter and then the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Reconnect the battery and the adapter and then turn on the system.

Also, run the diagnostics on the computer.

• Press and the power button to initiate diagnostics.

Or

• Shut down and restart the computer.
  • Press the F12 key immediately when the Dell logo appears. The Boot Device list appears.
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ and press the Enter key.

The issue could be with the video card as it displays vertical lines; however you may check the display on an external monitor.

Also, confirm if the system beeps continuously or if it beeps in some pattern with pause between each set of beeps.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

September 11th, 2013 06:00

Well i tried by using and power start button , nothing appear , no sound, noting,  and i can't see logo so that i can boot by pressing and start diagnostics. the condition still remain same. i try to connect via external monitor , but nothing appear.

September 12th, 2013 03:00

hi i don't get any response from your side kindly suggest...

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

September 12th, 2013 04:00

Hi binay_123kumar,

I would like to apologize for the delay in response.

You may try to run the diagnostics by removing the battery from the system and then connect the AC Adapter while holding down the power button.

Also, as you have mentioned that the screen is blank and the Dell logo does not come up; let me know if any of the system LED’s including the power button is on.

Do you still hear any beeps and if they are in some pattern?

As the LCD diagnostics passed, the issue could be with the video card or the motherboard.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

September 12th, 2013 21:00

Hi,

I try to  run in the same way insert adapter pin along with pressed power button but nothing happen no beep sound nothing similar to normal start nothing happen.

and also logo doesn't appear in LED, but when i press power button, Backlit keypad glows and also power button light glows.

Please suggest ..

Binay

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

September 13th, 2013 02:00

Hi Binay,

As the power button light is on and the backlit keyboard comes on with no display on the screen, the issue seems to be with the motherboard.

If the system is in warranty, you may share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

If the system is not in warranty and you are residing in US, you may contact Dell Out of Warranty Repairs (OWR) department in US by referring to the link: http://dell.to/15Ru1qU.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

5 Posts

October 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

I am faced with a very similar issue with my laptop (Dell studio 1555). This happened about 4 days ago.

The laptop starts and i can see the power button glowing, the CD ROM emits the usual initialization sound, but then neither the CPU fan works, nor is there any display. I tried rebooting the laptop multiple times without any success. I do not hear any beep sounds as well.

Kindly help me with this problem.

-Avishek

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

October 9th, 2013 01:00

Hi Avishek,

Release the residual power from the laptop and then try turning it on.

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Remove the adapter and then the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter and then turn on the system.

You may try to run the diagnostics by removing the battery from the system and then connect the AC Adapter while holding down the power button.

Also try to turn on the system with just the adapter connected and not the battery. Similarly try only with battery and not the adapter.

Do you see the light on the connector of your AC adapter that fits into the DC in port of the system?

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

5 Posts

October 9th, 2013 07:00

Hi Kuldeep,

I tried all that you mentioned in the reply above, but no success. 

The light at the connector of my AC Adapter glows perfectly, as does the light on the start button. However, as i had written above, the system does not boot up. 

-Avishek

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

October 9th, 2013 23:00

Hi Avishek,

Do you see the Dell logo or anything coming up on the screen?

Try connecting an external monitor to the system to see if the issue is not with the display.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 05:00

Hi Kuldeep,

The screen is absolutely blank and i do not see any logo / image / activity there. I tried connecting the laptop to the monitor of my desktop, and still no results. 

Although the system does not boot up, i see that any USB device connected blinks as expected. I connected a USB mouse and its light glows as it would on a functioning system.

Thanks for your tips. :) Is there something else i need to look for?

-Avishek 

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

October 11th, 2013 01:00

Hi Avishek,

The issue seems to be with the motherboard of your system and needs to be replaced.

If the system is in warranty, you may share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation).

If the system is not in warranty and you are residing in US, you may contact Dell spares for Dell OEM media. Please click on the link

http://dell.to/11GOIPD

5 Posts

October 11th, 2013 01:00

Hi Kuldeep,

The system is no longer under warranty. I had bought this 4 years ago. I also suspect an issue with the Motherboard, just not sure yet as to how extensive the damage is. 

Thanks,

Avishek

December 23rd, 2013 17:00

Hi

I also have a dell 1555. The same issue happend today.

The power on button gives only cdrom initialization.

No display after that. I tried removing battery, pressing power button . All the above as suggested.

Any one got anywork arround here.

Thanks - Puneet

December 27th, 2013 07:00

Hi

An update for all who have the same issue. It worked for me, may try this at your own risk and cost - whatsoever.

My Dell 1555 had the same issue as this thread started. I tried the steps suggested in this thread - no results. I thought it is a dead machine and no options are left.

I bought an external SATA hard disk enclosure. Installed the hard disk and took data back up on another laptop. SATA hard disk enclosures are easily available in the market. Please refer Dell service manual – how to remove the hard disk and other below mentioned parts.

Since my data is safe now, I thought of re-trying the below steps:

1. Removed power cord, battery and drain the residual power by holding the power on button for 20+ sec
  2. Removed the CMOS battery and installed it again
  3. Removed the both RAM and installed them again

I tried to restart the machine, nothing worked.

Now I decided to try few new combinations, one of them is as below:

1. Removed power cord, battery and drain the residual power by holding the power on button for 20+ sec
  2. Removed the CMOS battery and installed it again
  3. Removed the both RAM and installed only one of them

It worked for me. I do not know the issue is with RAM  or with its slot. As the machine started working I decided to stop my testing at that point. My computer has only 2 GB but I am happy it is not dead. I checked the diagnostics – surprised no issue found.

My thanks to the person who initiated this thread. It helped me in trying the steps and bringing my machine back to life.

No Events found!