Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2013 14:00

DVD Trays keeps opening for no reason

Hi

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010) laptop that is about 3 years old.  I the last few weeks the DVD tray has started opening unexpectedly.  It seems quite random - sometimes it stays shut, and other times it keeps popping opening every time that I try to close it. 

I have run a virus scan and found nothing, and all the drivers are up-to-date.  It seems likely that this is a hardware problem.  Can anyone suggest what could be causing this?

thanks!

Paul Wilson

1.3K Posts

October 10th, 2013 15:00

Hi Paul Wilson,

Update the optical drive firmware and BIOS from the Dell Support website and check if you still face the same issue with the optical drive. Click on the link below to access the Drivers & Downloads page for the Inspiron 15R. You have mentioned your system as the Inspiron 15R N5010 however,  we request you to check the system model name correctly because one of the variants of the Inspiron 15R is N5110 and not N5010. In case your system is an N5010, it may be the Inspiron 15 Intel (N5010).

http://dell.to/1hFVjRW

Click on this Youtube link for a video on how to update your Dell PC's BIOS in 99 Seconds:  http://dell.to/1fGmlNu

Follow instructions mentioned below prior to the BIOS update.

• Ensure that the AC Adapter is connected to the computer prior to the BIOS update.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Remove any cd/dvd from the optical drive prior to the BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 10% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to replace the BIOS chip or motherboard.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

October 10th, 2013 21:00

thanks for your reply Babita.  I have implemented the BIOS update and so far it seems to be working.  With regard to my model number, it is definately N5010.  When I ordered the computer it said Inspiron 15R on the order form, but when I entered my service tag number into the Dell website it said it was a Inspiron 15.  Anyway, your suggestion seems to have solved the problem.  thanks!

1.3K Posts

October 11th, 2013 15:00

Hi Paul Wilson,

Thank you for your reply. It is great to know that the issue with the DVD tray opening randomly has been resolved.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries. We would be happy to help.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

1 Message

September 8th, 2014 19:00

Hi. I am having the same problem on my Inspiron 15 (3520) and updating the BIOS didn't do anything to it. Could you please help me? Thanks in advance.

No Events found!