Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2013 22:00

Dell 1558 abruptly switching off

Hi,

I have a ~2-3 year old Dell 1558 that is out of warranty. Recently, there have been a lot of problems with it but the main one is the fact that the laptop switches off very suddenly without any warning at all. It does not boot into the operating system. It loads the Dell loading screen after which I can run a diagnostic test.

In the test, I get a HDD failure with error code 0146 so I know the reason I cannot boot into the OS; the test runs until the memory test starts (CPU tests). At this point, the computer just shuts down and I cannot carry on the tests or boot into the system. 

To add to my problem, I also have a Windows Restore CD stuck in the CD drive which I cannot eject due to not being able to boot up. 

Any help would be appreciated. I will be looking to replace my HDD but it would be appreciated greatly if anyone could give insight into the random power failures.

Thank you in advance.

Devarsh

1.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 22:00

Hi Devarsh,

Welcome to the Community.

You should first replace the hard-drive and then check if the system restarts. It could be hard-drive as well causing shutdown on the system.

If the issue persists then you can check it could be an issue with the heatsink causing the system to overheat and shutdown. Secondly, if replacing heatsink doesn't resolve the issue then motherboard would require replacement.

For CD being stuck inside the system you can check if we have a emergency eject hole on the drive. You can use a small pin to eject the CD.

NOTE: If it is slot load drive then emergency eject hole would not be available and drive needs to be replaced.

You can contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

If you have any further queries feel free to reply.

No Events found!