Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2017 12:00

Dell 5010 will not access advanced boot menu

Hi,

I have a Dell 5010 and replaced the HDD after the original drive went faulty. I made a recovery drive on a USB flash so that I could do a reinstall after fitting the new drive. Anyway, after fitting the drive and restarting the laptop, it will not allow me to access the advanced boot menu. It just goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

I have run the Dell diagnostics tool and there are no issues. This tool reported a faulty drive with the previous HDD which led to me replacing it.

Any suggestions?

2 Posts

April 28th, 2017 16:00

Thanks for taking the time to answer Brad. It turns out that the USB drive that I was using as my recovery drive was corrupt and so left me without any backup to reinstall my PC to factory settings.

I reformatted the new HDD to clean the corrupt attempted reinstall and started afresh by doing a clean install of Windows 10. The PC is working fine now and is busy downloading the various Windows updates etc.

So all seems fine.

Once again, thanks for answering.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

April 28th, 2017 14:00

Can you enter the BIOS and force the system to boot to the USB drive (by selecting it as the only bootable option)? Also, when the drive failed was the system still bootting/allowing you to enter the one time boot menu?

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!