Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2017 09:00

Dell E7470 & Samsung NVME drives : Missing Internal HDD Password option in the bios

I have an E7470 & I added a Samsung 1TB 960 Pro M.2 NVME drive to it. It is set to RAID on & legacy bios bootup in bios (not set to UEFI). I was able to load Windows 10 & everything is working as normal.
However, I went to set the Bios HDD password under security, & the option is not there so I can enable it for FDE encryption. The actual option in the bios --> Security --> "Internal HDD-1 Password" is missing.
I have tried every option in the bios (setting admin/system password), changing to UEFI, AHCI, etc..
I am running the latest version of the bios. Running the latest firmware for the Samsung 960.
We have 170+ E7470 units. I have tested this out with 4 other units, with different bios versions. Same issue. I have also tested 4 other Samsung 960 Pro drives. Same issue. Missing option in the bios.
Any ideas?
Thx.

• 

16.7K Posts

April 18th, 2017 07:00

itdirectorFLLP

There is no hdd 1 password in the bios. I believe that is just the option for a 2nd security password other than the system password or a bios password. This is normal for the bios on this computer.

April 18th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for your reply Jesse, but your comments are not accurate. We have 650+ Dell Latitude laptops, with 170+ of them being E7470's. They all have the bios --> Security --> "Internal HDD-1 Password" option. This option goes missing in the bios when we replace the normal M.2 SSD with an NVME SSD. All of Dell's docs say with NVME drives, that option should still be there as long as SATA is not disabled, which it isn't on ours.

April 18th, 2017 10:00

Thx for the reply. We do not have any passwords set in the bios. The bios --> Security --> "Internal HDD-1 Password" option completely disappears in the bios when a regular none-NVMe M.2 drive is replaced with a NVMe M.2 drive. The option is not locked. It is not there at all. As soon as we put back the non-NVME drive, the option is again available in the bios.

17 Posts

April 18th, 2017 10:00

In the Security options, do you have the Password Change option checked or unchecked?

If it's unchecked, you have to use the Admin password to unlock the settings...  otherwise HDD Password is one of the options protected, the way I understand it.

No Events found!