Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2015 08:00

Dell Inspirion 15 HDD problem

Hi, I bought an Inspirion 15 laptop about a year ago. This morning it froze and I tried to restart it but it would stop at the Dell Logo. I pressed F12 and ran Diagnostics and it said there was a problem with the Hard Drive(the rest of the tests came with no problems). About 6 months ago I ran Dell Diagnostics and it found a problem with the HDD as well, so I was sent a replacement part, but never got to installing it due to the fact that I didn't have the tools. Anyway, I tried replacing the HDD with the one I was sent but when I started the laptop it came with the message "No Hard Drive detected". Any suggestions?

Product service number: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 27th, 2015 10:00

Check the system BIOS, start the system tapping F12 and choose “Enter Setup”. On the main tab look for Fixed HDD, what does it read? Does it see the hard drive? If not, try reseating the drive to make sure that is has a good connection and try again. If you continue to have problems try installing the original drive in the system and see if it is detected. If neither drives are detected I suggest contacting tech support in your area, it is possible that both drives are bad, but I am concerned that they may be a failure with the SATA controller.

Tech support may have sent an imaged HDD, in which case all you should have to do is install the drive and start the system up but you will need to perform a manual reinstall if the drive was sent blank. If you have created recovery media using Dell Backup and Recovery you should be good. If you don’t have a Windows disk or recovery media you will need to contact tech support and request media.

Once you have the media, either a Windows 8 disk, or the Factory recovery media that you created, you will need to set the system to boot to DVD or USB accordingly. Here are instructions to run a clean Installation using a Windows CD. Here are instructions for recovering the system using the Factory Recovery Media.

Please let me know if you continue to have difficulties.

TB

3 Posts

July 27th, 2015 10:00

The HDD does appear in Fixed HDD reading ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB, however when I start it I still get the message "Internal HDD not found - to resolve this issue try to reseat the drive (which I have tried). No bootable devices". The old HDD doesn't give this issue, however that is the damaged one. 

How can I install the new HDD? 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 27th, 2015 12:00

Good then the hard drive is seen by the BIOS, it is probably fine and you won’t need to reseat the drive. You may be getting the message “internal HDD not found” if the HDD is blank and hasn’t been formatted.  

The next step is to boot the system to either the Windows 8 disk or your Factory Recovery Media. It should be able to detect the drive and prepare it for the Windows installation. Please reply back if you continue to get the HDD not detected message even after booting to your recovery media.

If you don’t have any restore media, you will need to request that restore disks be sent to you. If you are in the US or Canada you can fill out the Backup Media Request form, otherwise contact tech support in your area and request media.

TB

3 Posts

July 27th, 2015 17:00

How do I do that?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 28th, 2015 08:00

The first thing is to verify if you have restore media, this will either be a Windows 8 CD that you may have received from tech support or with your computer, or if you have created restore disks back when your computer was able to boot to Windows.

Do you have either Windows DVDs or the Restore disks that you may have created?

If you don't have any media at all then you will need to request media, if you are in the US or Canada click this link and fill out the form to request that Windows Media be shipped to you. If you don’t live in the US or Canada call technical support in your area and request that the disks be shipped to you.

If you do have the Windows DVDs click this link for step by step instructions for a clean reinstall of Windows on the replacement hard drive.

If you have created Restore Media click this link for step by step instructions to install Windows.

Please reply back if you have any further questions or run into further troubles. Please include in your reply if you have a Windows 8 DVD or you have created Restore disks or you require media be sent to you.

TB

No Events found!