Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2012 12:00

Dell Inspiron 14z ultrabook speaker doesn't work

Hi, I just received the ultrabook from amazon yesterday and everything works fine except the speaker, I had tried to video chat with friends on this brand new laptop but there is no sound when talking, please help me solve this problem.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hi jenetteehelena,

It would be annoying when the speaker does not work on a new computer. I suggest you to install the audio drivers and check if it fixes the issue. You can download the drivers from the following link:
http://dell.to/V3F06y

Please let me if you need further assistance.

December 23rd, 2012 16:00

Btw, the operating system is Windows 7 64-bit, not 8. But does it matter? Since the web says that the driver has compatibility with Windows 8 64-bit

December 23rd, 2012 16:00

Hi Rajath,

I did the procedure you told me to, however, after I installed the audio drivers and restarted the windows, the audio is completely off with the volume icon on a mute mode(meaning red x logo), displayed on the lower right , and I clicked on it it says Troubleshooting couldn't Identify the Problem... now the sound is completely off!!!!

Are you sure the audio driver is correct for my laptop model?

BTW, my ultrabook model is Dell Inspiron i14z-5000sLV 14-Inch Ultrabook (Silver)

Thanks for your time in helping me. :)

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 24th, 2012 16:00

Hi jenetteehelena,

Thank you for your reply and apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please download and install the audio drivers for Windows 7 from the following link:
http://dell.to/V7LeCn

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

December 25th, 2012 01:00

Hi Rajath,

Merry Christmas!I wish you a happy holidfay!

First let me summed up what happened so you will understand the progress so far in better helping me solve the problem faster:

You gave me the windows 8 first and I installed before realizing it was the wrong version, so the problem became both speaker and audio were completely off,

the volume icon became "muted" with the red x on it.

I clicked on the volume icon, it opened the window of " windows detecting problems"... here is what happens in the end.

Then you linked me with the windows 7 which is the correct version for my laptop, I downloaded and installed it however encountered a problem, here I will attach a photo so you can take a look at :

Therefore the installation cannot be completed.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 25th, 2012 14:00

Hi jenetteehelena,

Merry Christmas and that you for providing a detailed description of the issue with screenshots. I suggest you to navigate to the folder to which the files have been extracted in Windows Explorer. Right click on the Setup.exe and click “Run as administrator”. This should start the installation. Please let me know your findings.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi jenetteehelena, unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to the post.

January 6th, 2013 23:00

Hi Rajah,

Sorry about late reply. The audio is working now after updating the audio device, however the microphone is not working still. Basically there is no sound when using Skype, Google+ hangouts when video chatting with people, I cannot hear their sound  nor they could hear mine. And after examining the sound window under the control panel, we have realized that the problem is on the MICROPHONE( IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Default Communication Device).. Here is an attached picture of it: when speaking it recognizes the Microphone Array but not the microphone. So that's the problem we have right now.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 8th, 2013 10:00

Hi jenetteehelena,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update about the status. I appreciate your efforts. As per the screenshot, the Microphone Array is selected as the default device. You will need to select the microphone as the default device. Please follow the steps provided below:
1. On the “Recording” tab, click on “Microphone” to select it.
2. Click on the arrow pointing downwards on the “Set Default” button and select “Default Device”.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue and if you need further assistance.

No Events found!