Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2016 05:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Battery plugged in not charging. Can I use adapter from a Dell Inspiron 630M laptop ?

Over the last 2 days I have been having a problem as indicated in the title of this post. The fault has rectified itself 3 times, but again today, it is back to "battery plugged in, not charging." As I am running the laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium; 32 bit) on the adapter without problems, I assume that the adapter itself may not be faulty.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 630M laptop running Windows 7.  Can I safely use that adapter with the Vista laptop, without causing damage to the Vista ?  If it is safe to do so, and the battery on the Vista starts charging, then it would indicate that the Vista adapter/charger has some kind of fault.

Hoping someone can give me some guidance. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 18th, 2016 07:00

Could be - or it could be the power jack.  See if the other adapter gives a more solid connection.  If it does, it's the plug on the adapter.  If it doesn't, it's the jack inside the system.

13 Posts

October 18th, 2016 06:00

ejn63, Thanks for your interest.  I think both adapters have the same power rating, but will check them thoroughly. And the latest re the problem, I have turned the power cable where it plugs into the Vista laptop, and it is now charging.  So it seems that there may be something, a wire ? slightly loose.Battery charge has risen from 23% to 58%, and still rising. Seems that it may be the adapter or its cable may be the cause.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 18th, 2016 06:00

If the adapter has the same plug and the same or higher power rating, you can swap them.

Check to see whether the 1545 recognizes the AC adapter or whether it shows unknown (F2 at powerup).  If it shows unknown with two different adapters, you have a bad power jack or a bad mainboard.

13 Posts

October 30th, 2016 06:00

I have not tried using the adapter/charger from the Dell 630M laptop.  Again the battery is failing to charge.  The position now with the 1545 laptop is when the adapter/charger is plugged in I can use the laptop, although the battery does not charge.  BUT, when I log off and close down the 1545, if I leave it connected to the adapter, and the adapter is still plugged in to the mains, the power light at the front remains on.  Is that indicating that the battery is faulty and needs replacing ?  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 30th, 2016 11:00

Run an extended diagnostic on the hard drive -- F12 at powerup.  It sounds like that problem is stems from a faulty hard drive.

13 Posts

October 30th, 2016 11:00

Even more problems with the Inspiron 1545- after closing down successfully this morning, and doing everything correctly, this afternoon, attempting to log on - "User profile" not recognised, or something similar.  I have tried starting up in Safe Mode, but no success.

Has anyone any suggestions re this problem, and also the battery problem ?

At the moment I am using an XP laptop, and am able to revisit Dell Community.

HELP NEEDED> !!!!!

No Events found!