Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2013 15:00

Dell Inspiron 17r Special Edition problems

Dell what is up with the inspiron 17r Special editions??? I've had a few problems with this laptop and after doing a bit of searching on the internet I found out i'm not the only one with these problems. First of all when I start up the laptop, it takes me to the dell logo and after a few seconds the screen goes black. I have to forcefully shut it down as many as 10 times before I am actually able to log onto windows. Second big issue is Turbo boost with the gt650m. Sometimes when I start up a game I have to shut down the computer and restart it multiple times just to enable turbo boost. When I shut it down I end up having the first problem I described. I also have problems with the caps lock key while typing and Intel rapid start technology doesn't seem to be working anymore. To be honest this laptop is becoming a bit of a head ache. Any help will be appreciated.

807 Posts

July 4th, 2013 15:00

First thing I'd do is a full diagnostic (press F12 at startup and choose Diagnostics). Then I'd see if there are any updated BIOS releases. Apparently there's an A15 update dated June 2013 but for some reason the link on Dells website is broken!! Actually I hear there's supposed to be an A16 release today but that hasn't happened yet. Other people have reported the dreaded loss of the GT650m  after a BIOS update so update at your own risk!

I thought Intel's Turbo Boost software only worked with Intel's own chips? Anyhow you could update Turbo Boost direct from Intel's site not the Dell website and the same with Intel Rapid Start.

807 Posts

July 5th, 2013 06:00

Sounds like this is still a work in progress then. A16 BIOS update is supposed to be due soon. Hopefully this will solve things. Keep an eye on this topic too

en.community.dell.com/.../19498450.aspx

I know it centres predominately on the loss of the GT650M but it also mentions the GPU Boost bug.

9 Posts

July 5th, 2013 06:00

I've run a full diagnostic already. I actually did this while on the phone with dell support. I've also tried turning on the laptop with the battery out and the power cable plugged in. My BIOS is up to date (A14). I found the A15 link but like you said the link is broken. I've updated all my software and drivers so I do't think I'm running any older versions.

Sorry, I meant gpu boost not turbo boost. The laptop disables gpu boost while playing games and I have to keep restarting.

9 Posts

July 7th, 2013 13:00

I don't know what to do with this laptop anymore. I can't use it anymore. It boots up fine, I enter my password and for the next few minutes everything is fine. Then the problems start. All the programs begin to hang, the start menu becomes inaccessible and the laptop just becomes unresponsive. I think I might call and try to return this laptop. This is extremely annoying. The laptop is just three and a half months old!!!

807 Posts

July 7th, 2013 14:00

You could try a factory restore as a last resort...

Use Dell Factory Image Restore only as the last method to restore your
operating system. This option restores your hard drive to the operating
state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or
files added since you received your computer—including data files—are
permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents,
spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If
possible, back up all data before using Dell Factory Image Restore.

Starting Dell Factory Image Restore

1. Turn on the computer.
2. When the DELL logo appears, press few times to access the
Advanced Boot Options window.
3. Select Repair Your Computer. The System Recovery Options window
appears.
4. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.
5. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the
command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then
click OK.
6. Select Dell Factory Image Restore or Dell Factory Tools→ Dell
Factory Image Restore (depending on the configuration of your
computer).
7. Click Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
8. Select the check box to confirm that you want to continue 
reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the 
factory condition, then click Next. The restore process begins and may
take five or more minutes to complete.
9. When the restore operation is complete, click Finish to restart the
computer.

807 Posts

July 7th, 2013 18:00

If the system is less than 21 days old (US) or 7 days (UK) then yeah I'd get my money back. 

9 Posts

July 7th, 2013 18:00

I'm probably better of returning the laptop. I'm a student whose work relies mostly on a computer so I don't have time for any of this. The problem has gotten even worse now. When I enter my password on the startup screen all I get is a black screen and an empty task bar.

807 Posts

July 8th, 2013 06:00

It's a software issue not a hardware fault that's why all diagnostics pass with no errors.

Your warranty only covers defective hardware. Unless Dell issue a recall on the system then you're just going to have to hold out until the next BIOS release and hope it fixes the problems. However, other users have had their mainboards replaced under warranty (although it didn't solve the missing GT650M issue). I'd contact Dell Support and see what they say. 

9 Posts

July 8th, 2013 06:00

So I probably can't return it. Any suggestions on what I can do? Ive run full diagnostics about 5 times now and it says the laptop passed all the tests. But that doesn't make sense. If it passed all the tests the laptop should be working fine. I'm still under warranty but I'm not in the UK atm so I really can't do anything.

9 Posts

July 9th, 2013 13:00

I've installed the A15  BIOS and there is no change. The only way I was able to access internet explorer to install the BIOS was by right clicking on the empty task bar and selecting new toolbar. Other than that the computer is now completely useless.

807 Posts

July 9th, 2013 15:00

Yes...I've seen that this new BIOS release, which was supposed to address the GT650M issue, didn't make any difference.

As the system is still under warranty then contact Dell Support and they will assist. It's likely they will replace the motherboard, however be aware other users have advised that this doesn't resolve the GT650M issues. You would need to return to the UK first unless you qualify for Next Business Day On-Site Response Service.

No Events found!