Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 16th, 2008 15:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 Drivers

Just did a clean in stall with windows XP pro, Now I'm getting the yellow ? mark by the ethernet controller,multimedia controller,pci device and serial. Downloaded all the drivers from the site. But cant seem to find the right ones for some reason..Thanks for your help

14.4K Posts

you need to install the intel chipset driver and dell notebook system software before installing any hardware drivers.

to find out what hardware you have, put your asset tag in the link below and it should direct you to what drivers you need.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&l=en&s=gen

2 Posts

fixed the multimedia, cant find the right driver for the ethernet controller

14.4K Posts

January 16th, 2008 16:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

September 29th, 2011 09:00

I had the same problem, but these Broadcom drivers at this link produce an installation error involving installscript. I Googled and followed instructions to install the latest version of ISScript.msi, but the same problem is occurring. I've been able to find all the other drivers, but really need this one. Appreciate any help. Here's the link to the solution I tried: consumerdocs.installshield.com/.../viewContent.do

Cathy

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 29th, 2011 09:00

I have no idea what you are talking about. When downloading drivers from the Dell website don't use the Dell Download Manager. Choose the other option.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 29th, 2011 10:00

See my guide, a clean install of Windows XP (start at step 4. as you have presumably already formatted). It tells you everything you need to do.

September 29th, 2011 13:00

I didn't use the Dell Download Manager and all the other downloads worked fine.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Q108158: Setup Is Unable To Find or Update ISScript.msi

During installation, you may get an error message regarding the IsScript engine. The following are some of the common error messages encountered with the IsScript engine:

Cannot find IsScript.msi

The version of IsScript.msi is old

I've already reformatted the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP, thanks. Downloaded and installed all software and updates. Wi-fi is working fine, but I need the network adapter, too.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

Try installing R149798 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> (Driver) and R150593 (Diagnostics) instead of the ones you tried earlier.

September 29th, 2011 16:00

Thought I replied to this, but I don't see it, so forgive me if this shows up twice.

You are so good! Both of those worked just like they're supposed to. Where did you find them?

Thanks much,

Cathy

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 29th, 2011 16:00

They were for the Inspiron 6400 and are slightly newer versions. The 6400 and 6000 have alot of hardware in common.

The Dell Notebook Software, Intel Chipset, Ricoh Chipset, Conexant Modem Driver & Application, Broadcom Ethernet Driver & Diagnostic, Audio, Touchpad and Dell Quickset should be interchangeable in XP and Vista. (Although for some reason Quickset isn't interchangeable in Vista and there is no Vista version for the 6000).

Glad you got it working. :) I don't know why the ones you tried earlier didn't work... but anyway you have newer versions.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 30th, 2011 08:00

Hmm I usually prefer getting the latest set from the Dell Website (although appears it isn't exactly the latest set on the 6000 page) and always wipe the driver folder. Either way will work.

September 30th, 2011 08:00

Interesting. Hopefully, I will now get it in my head to copy the Dell drivers folder from drives before I wipe them!! Thanks again.

No Events found!