Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

February 18th, 2008 04:00

Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 A17 BIOS CPU Support

Good morning, just on the Dell support site downloading some drivers and I noticed an available updated BIOS release for my 6400.

Under the Fixes and Enhancements section it says the bios "Added support for newer Intel processors"

At the moment I’m on the A09 Bios running a T5500 C2D processor, I was wondering what new CPUs this bios added support for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

9 Posts

February 18th, 2008 05:00

Release Title:    BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061, A17
Release Date:   6/25/2007
Criticality:        Optional
Description:      Inspiron 6400/E1505 A17 System BIOS

=========================

nothing to worry about. just an optional upgrade. Just in case you need to upgrade your processor (which happens rarely). I advice you not to upgrade your system BIOS on your own, especially if system warranty has already expired. If the BIOS update failed, it will fry your mobo and you'd have no choice but to purchase one.

4 Posts

February 18th, 2008 06:00

Well I’ve been looking at replacing my current Merom chip with a pin compatible socket M processor, something like a T7400 4mb cpu.

My laptop is well over a year old now and not worth much, it makes sense to upgrade the cpu before I upgrade the whole laptop all together.

I’ve flashed a Core 2 Toshiba and Sony laptop recently and by the looks of it this dell is as straight forward, do many people run into failed bios flashes with these dells?

Cheers

14.4K Posts

February 18th, 2008 07:00

I always try to do the flash in pure dos if such a file is available...

4 Posts

February 18th, 2008 14:00

Yup, low level is always safer, goes without saying tbh :)

Back to my original question, so does anyone actually know what extra cpu's this A17 bios actually supports then?? shame there wasn’t better documentation to go with the bios.

Cheers

March 13th, 2008 20:00

hi,
did you upgrade the bios in your laptop.
i upgraded and now the os is working fine but, it gets unexpectedly rebooted ... and i have already lost some of the documents while working.

do you know / can you suggest me some solution or a possible way to degrade the version back to the original

March 13th, 2008 21:00

oh ok..
ill just go into the bios and load defaults i don't think it should be a problem now onwards..
i was just asking if you knew about the solution of the bios thing in the previous post :)

anyways
thanks

4 Posts

March 13th, 2008 21:00

I was fine with the bios my laptop was shipped with so didn’t reflash.

Have you tried going into the bios? check to see if everything is being correctly recognised, maybe try resetting the bios back to defaults if that’s at all possible. Sorry I can’t be more help :(

No Events found!