Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2015 11:00

Dell Inspiron 7537 Keyboard Mapping

Hi

My Inspiron 7537 has been working fine since bought from new in September 2014. However, last night the keyboard mapping appears to have become corrupt:

"e" maps to "PAGE UP";

"c" maps to wireless control/airline mode;

"7" maps to "9".

These are the only that are incorrect that I've noticed so far... the rest work as expected. An external USB keyboard is working as expected.

There have been no spillages or accidents over the keyboard.

Any suggestions?!?

Cheers

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2015 16:00

Hi jarriss,

I would suggest you to try flashing the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the keyboard from the device manager.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Keyboards’ in the device manager.
  3. Click on the arrow mark beside ‘Keyboards’.
  4. Right click on the device under ‘Keyboards’ installed on your computer and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  5. Click on ‘Ok’ and restart the computer to check for the issue.

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 03:00

Hi Ravi

Many thanks for your response. Flashing the BIOS with an update appears to have fixed my problem - the keyboard is now working as expected.

However, I am curious to understand the root cause and any preventative measures I could/should take to prevent recurrences.

Kind regards

Jarriss

4 Posts

Also, I've just noticed that the LEFT SHIFT, NUM4 or NUM5 keys do not work either.

Jarriss

4 Posts

Hi Ravi BC

Thank you for your reply.

As per original post, the external USB keyboard works as expected without issue.

I swap between US International and UK keyboard layouts, and it doesn't make any difference - the issue persists with the built-in keyboard.

Kind regards

Jarriss

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi jarriss,

The keyboard layout would have changed on your computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to change it on your Windows 8 computer.

1. The first thing we need to do is launch the Control Panel, you can do this by pressing the Win + R keyboard combination and type in ‘Control Panel’ and click on ‘OK’.
  2. Switch to the small icons view by selecting the drop down from the top right corner.
  3. Select the Language option.
  4. On the right-hand side you will see an ‘options’ hyperlink, click on it.
  5. ON the next screen you will be able to add and remove keyboard layouts.
  6. So add ‘US’ country under the ‘Input method’ section.

Also, please check is issue reoccurs with external USB keyboard connected.

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 9th, 2015 15:00

Hi jarriss,

It seems like the keyboard drivers were corrupted. Flashing of the BIOS reset the hardware settings on the system board.

No Events found!