Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2015 17:00

Dell Inspiron 7547 BIOS black screen

Evening, I recently acquired an Inspiron 7547 model, after doing a BIOS update suggested by DELL software, my laptop rebooted into a black screen. I tried removing the battery and CMOS coin battery for a BIOS reset but it didn't seem to help, should I leave the battery unplugged for how long?, are there any possible solutions that don't require using the screen?, since it's black all the time. Thank you in advance

2 Posts

February 26th, 2015 16:00

I had to send my laptop back, I hope they fix it soon enough since I'm pretty much without means of working, I will never rely on the auto update program from DELL again

2 Posts

February 21st, 2015 00:00

I'm having the exact same issue.  Two days now off a black screen.  The computer itself is on and working. .. it seems. .. but the screen is black.  When it was updating the bios the computer fans went full blast for hours and my entire computer froze.  This is a brand new unit btw... got it about 30 days ago.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2015 19:00

Same issue here...  the Dell system software 'strongly recommended' a bios update.  It started, then froze with the fan going full blast for an hour (screen picture below).  Tried to restart with no success.  Tried bulling the batteries, no luck.   Please, please help!!

2 Posts

February 25th, 2015 01:00

This critical Dell update essentially killed my motherboard.  I took it back to Best Buy and that's what they said. Fortunately I have a warranty for a year and it got sent back to Dell.  What a pain.  Should get it back in 3 weeks.  

3 Posts

February 26th, 2015 21:00

So after freezing during the Dell-software-recommended "critical update" to the BIOS (see picture above), I spent a good 90 minutes on the phone with Dell support.  They were helpful and sympathetic, but as I suspected, the issue was beyond phone support troubleshooting.  I have to send the computer back for them to fix.  Disappointed that something as crucial and sensitive as a BIOS update isn't more robust, but happy with the responsiveness of Dell support.  Hopefully they have a quick turnaround...

Just a warning to everyone out there about this issue....  seems to happening with a degree of regularity following the 2/10/15 BIOS upgrade recommendation...

1 Message

March 2nd, 2015 20:00

Same exact problem for me.  Froze at the same point as the others, fan started spinning wildly, complete freeze, and now black screen of death.  Same model.  Dell Warranty time!

1 Message

March 4th, 2015 15:00

Same machine. Exact same problem. Over 2 hours with Dell phone tech support without resolution.

Still at Dell repair depot for last 21/2 weeks.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2015 10:00

Does anyone know if this issue is resolved or if the bios update date 3/29/15 is O.K.?   I just ordered this model (and got an incredible deal), so I'm wondering if I should run this update. I'd be sick if opened the box, ran the updates and immediately fried the motherboard.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2015 11:00

Hey Kevin - 

This is my first Dell in a long while, and I love it...  except for this BIOS issue I had!  The bundled Dell support software strongly recommend that I upgrade the BIOS (see screenshot from earlier in this thread).  It froze.  I sent the computer back to Dell and they replaced the motherboard.  Service was good, but tough to be without the computer for three weeks or so... 

The update was NOT forced or automatic, so I would suggest NOT doing the update, or finding a way of doing it independent of the Dell support software (ie through DOS)...  but I'm not a computer guy, so probably best to get some real qualified advice!!

If you just ordered the computer, maybe it ships with the new version A03 (when I got mine back from Dell service, they had upgraded it from A01 to A03, so maybe yours is already updated?).

Good luck with it!

1 Message

May 15th, 2015 14:00

I had the same problem.  Had the computer about a month.  Did the recommended upgrade bios, froze.  After being on the phone with support sent it back to be fixed.  Instead I was sent a "refurbished computer.  Not happy especially having it only a month.  Anyways, countless hours on the phone, BTW I got the premium support, finally received it about a month and a half later.  Good luck.

No Events found!