Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 03:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 SE - Gpu boost is turning off

I have decided to create a new post regarding this issue, which wasn´t solved at last bios update (A12)..

GPU boost (OC to 835MHZ) is not working anymore and stick the frequency at default level all the time (745MHZ).

This happens when this laptop is disconnected from AC and it´s permanent stuck till you remove and re-insert the battery to reset somekind of memory.

I would understand if this feature will work on battery to save energy, but this is clearly a bug and after reconnecting AC, it should enable GPU boost again, but it doesn´t.

So, everytime i accidentally disconnect my laptop from power supply, my GPU boost is turned off and i have to painfully turn off the laptop and re-insert the battery to make it work again.

Many users registered this issue on forums all around the world... Please, don´t say it´s a feature to protect the laptop....

Thanks for your help!

62 Posts

October 11th, 2013 15:00

I wonder if any of Dell's systems with the 750M experience this problem. One thing that worries me is that I can no longer find the product page for the 17R SE. If I go here http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd it gives the little out of stock error.

Did Dell pull the entire product (Maybe due to these problems)? This is worrisome because who knows if we will receive any future support for this GPU Boost issue if the product is off the shelves. Maybe there is a refresh coming for the 17R SE that has the 750M, if so it will be interesting to see if those systems experience the same types of problems.

18 Posts

October 11th, 2013 17:00

I also have this problem. My GPU is stuck at 745mhz. I cannot overclock the card either because overclocking only seems to alter the "boost" frequency that doesn't work.

I also have another problem when on battery my CPU throttles when using the 650m graphics on battery. Using the integrated graphics the cpu does not throttle.

56 Posts

October 12th, 2013 03:00

I discovered the same problem few days ago when I tried to play Surgeon Simulator without power adapter. Performance set to High Power and in the detail settings of CPU I set minimum CPU state at 100 % and frequency was stack somewhere at 1200 MHz.

18 Posts

October 12th, 2013 04:00

When I've tested in games the frequency seems to get stuck around the 1700 mhz mark, but I've seen it sometimes lower to 600mhz.

• This is only when using the Geforce 650m. 
  • If you run with the power plugged in this does not happen.
  • This happens even with processor state set to minimum 100% in windows power options for battery.
  • If you launch the game using integrated graphics on battery then it doesn't throttle.
  • If you use throttlestop, you can eliminate this problem.

My guess is this is related to some kind of intel technology, probably EIST (Speedstep). But for whatever reason it doesn't seem to know when it is in a game or not when using the dedicated GPU. If I exist the game the frequency is then allowed to go up to its full again.

In relation to the OP stated problem, last night I installed the latest a15 bios from dell. At first I thought it fixed the problem, but in-fact after a reboot it hasn't. I was able to game at the turbo nvidia frequency, but not again after restarting the computer. No doubt taking out the battery and resetting the system will get this functionality back again.

18 Posts

October 12th, 2013 05:00

I have contacted dell about both problems. Hopefully everyone else has done the same to raise awareness of these stupid problems.

October 23rd, 2013 22:00

BIOS A16 has just been released. I havent tried it to see if it fixes this issue as yet. If you want to try, go grab it at http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17r-se-7720?driverId=FJY72&osCode=W864&fileId=3290558924&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

Apparantly it has helped with the missing 650m problem that has plagued some other 7720 owners. If only Dell would actually say what their updates actually do, its ridiculously flying blind from the consumer's viewpoint.

13 Posts

October 24th, 2013 00:00

i tested it and gpu boost bug is not fixed, still gets stuck after power cord removed.

October 24th, 2013 05:00

Bummer, was hoping A16 may have helped.

18 Posts

October 28th, 2013 18:00

A dell rep installed a new beta bios for me (i guess it was the one that was only just released) it didn't help one bit.

He said he would have to research the case and would give me a call back.

I don't think the line of communication between 1st like support and the people who can actually can fix these problem is so great.

Please can people call dell as well to try and raise the priority of this problem.

Its frustrating not being able to game to our full potential.

18 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 05:00

I spoke to my Dell rep yesterday on the phone, they haven't been able to come up with a solution to this problem and have escalated it. Hopefully they have escalated both issues I have and not just the CPU throttling one.

13 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 07:00

Any info in this problem? i like to get this fixed because i hate to remote battery when this bug occurs. if this not get fixed i wont buy anything from dell again and  i wont recommend their products either to anybody.

56 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 10:00

Yep. Same here. Waste of time. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> them. One of the main reasons to buy this laptop was support. The Next Bussiness Day On-Site Service sounded so awesome I threw ASUS and MSI over the board. It was mistake.

74 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 10:00

Hi,

OP here...

I already gave up, it´s just a complete waste of time here on forums and I really can´t recommend any DELL machine to anyone just because of awful support composed of these copy&paste guys from India.

Worst Support ever, which massively degrades all DELL products. Period.

18 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 16:00

I did a fresh install of Windows 8 and the problem with my CPU frequency getting stuck low when unplugged went away, it now works as it should on battery (as configured in windows).

As for the GPU. The Dell bios for the 650m seems to be faulty (although they won't admit it) and it locks you from overclocking. So I downloaded a bios made by svl7 over at techninferno forums. I would upload it elsewhere, but the creator is asking for donations, so I think you will need to donate or at least get 10 posts on techinferno before you can download.

The bios frequencies in the modded bios are suppose to be 970 core and 1400 memory. But for me it shows only 970 core and 1000 memory. But more importantly, it unlocks overclocking meaning you can use MSI Afterburner...nvidia inspector to overclock the gpu yourself. I have it running at 1400 memory by means of an overclock and on top of this it still idles low.

Just be aware, this worked great for me, but if you install an unofficial bios there is always a risk. You warranty will be void and you can't hold anyone to blame but yourself.

1 Message

May 8th, 2014 02:00

Hello all,

I've had the same issue for a long time, but I managed to fix it for me and I decided to share for those of you who are still pulling their hair out.

What I did is - Shut down the laptop -> remove the battery -> unplug the power cable -> press and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds (this resets some CMOS I believe) -> plug the cable and give it a try. 

After I did that the boost was working and I even managed to overclock the GPU to 970 MHz.

Cheer.

No Events found!