Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 8th, 2012 20:00

Dell Inspiron N7010 Factory Image Restore Problems

Hello, I own a Dell Inspiron N7010 laptop. I decided to try out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but had some errors and now I'm faced with a lot of problems restoring to factory settings.

First of all, I clean installed Windows 7 from a disk, but the drivers take way too long to download, and I'd like to have all of the original software back, so this is why I am asking.

When I press the F8 key and go into "Repair My Computer", there is no option to restore to factory image like I've seen in numerous posts. If anybody has an idea why, that would be great. Anyhow, I assigned a drive letter to the recovery partition of the laptop (B:) and used the command prompt to type in:

B:/

CD Tools

Tools>PCRestore

When I type "PCRestore" I then get an error about "oledlg.dll was not found on your computer; missing" etc. So now I'm in a dire of need of help here!

Thanks.

3.8K Posts

May 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you have the Windows Disc, boot of the disc by pressing the the F12 key at the Dell Logo, select cd/dvd and press enter, and press an key to boot from CD. Let it load and once it comes to the Install Now screen, click on Repair My Computer at bottom left, sign in using your user name, to access the recovery options, and restore your computer back to factory settings.

If the recovery partition was formatted/damaged, or if its not listed in the recovery options, then only option is to manually reinstall windows. Use the below link for help.

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you

Royan

May 9th, 2012 13:00

I have a Windows 7 disc (not supplied by Dell) and the recovery partition is fully intact. However, when I try to run the "PCRestore" program, I get an error that oledlg.dll was not found on my computer.

3.8K Posts

May 16th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

It looks like the recovery partition is damaged, and you will need to manually reinstall windows. Use the link given above.

Thank you

Royan

No Events found!