Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

June 29th, 2004 20:00

Dell Inspiron XPS Gen. 3 Ever?

I will be leaving in August to go to college and I want to buy a DTR (DeskTop Replacement) laptop but I have a few questions so I can buy one at the best time. 

Right now I'm stuck between a Dell Inspiron XPS or the Inspiron 8600 but with Intel's PCI Express chipsets recently coming out I was wondering when Dell will be incorporating that technology into their line of laptops or at least make it available for the Inspiron XPS?

What I would like to have in my Dell laptop is a Pentium 4 3.4-3.6GHz or Pentium M 2.0GHz(Preferably a Pentium M). I'm also wondering when Dell will have the new Mobility Radeon X600 either in their Inspiron XPS or 8600.  http://www.ati.com/products/mobile.html

And lastly I don't understand why Dell doesn't make the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 available in the Inspiron 8600.  Can anybody explain? If the Inspiron 8600 let you pick the Mobility Radeon 9700 I would definetly choose it over the Inspiron XPS whose battery is awful (The P4 processor is to blame) compared to the 8600. 

I would wet my pants if Dell came out with a laptop with a Pentium M 2.0GHz along with letting you choose the Mobility Radeon 9700 or the new X600.  Basically I'd love to have a Inspiron XPS but with a Pentium M 2.0GHz instead of the battery hogger P4.  You'd lose some performance but gain 1.5-2 hours of battery life.  A trade off I surely wouldn't mind.

If any of you can answer my scattered questions throughout I would be grateful.

Thanks!

June 30th, 2004 03:00

Regarding the MR9700, it is not offered on the I8600 due to marketing reasons. If they offer all of the items available in the I9100/IXPS, what will be the selling point of these machines then??

Regarding the new technology, Dell does not disclose release dates for any new notebooks until the day that they are released. However, the next revision to the I8600 can be expected in September or First Quarter of 2005 when Alvisio is released.

June 30th, 2004 07:00

Right now the Inspiron XPS features a desktop motherboard chipset.  Will Dell take a desktop PCI Express chipset and use it for the Inspiron XPS any time soon like by the end of July?

83 Posts

June 30th, 2004 21:00

From what I have read, there is not that much of a difference between the MR9700 and MR9600. Someone correct me if I am wrong... Personally I prob will wait until the next series of Dell laptops. I do not like the build of the 8600 and the 9100/XPS are too heavy and XPS is too expensive. Hopefully there will be some new laptops launched this fall.

Message Edited by FearNo1 on 06-30-2004 05:20 PM

9 Posts

June 30th, 2004 21:00

Deepak_rumkamar mentioned something about "Alvisio."  I'm not up on my computer technology - what is that?

Thanks, Rayt2

2.6K Posts

June 30th, 2004 22:00

Next gen of the Pentium M chipset.
No Events found!