Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2013 09:00

Dell Laptop will not finish Dell logon screen

Inspirion17R 5720

When I try to boot up, the dell logon screen comes on for a second along with the progress bar at the bottom of screen, the progress bar does not fill with the color and the dell emblem goes away..... the circle of dots that should spin also does not spin anymore, just a black screen 

1.1K Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi Raymond2013,

I will recommend you to run the diagnostics on your system to check the hardware functionality:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get any error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, try to boot your system in ‘Safe mode with Networking’ from Advanced boot menu and see if it works:

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

Note: If your system has Windows 8, F8 key will not work to bring up Advanced Boot menu. Try to boot your system for 3 times and it will automatically bring up the Advanced Boot menu.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA

272 Posts

February 13th, 2013 10:00

Why Dell support isn't on the same page as the rest of the community around here is beyond me, you would think by now that one of their canned answers would be in the form of  "Sorry, we are aware of an issue with the 17R and Other lines of Dell laptops experiencing this and our engineers are working towards a resolution as fast as possible, in the mean time try these steps..." at least be honest and alert the user community that it's probably  "Just not them and it's a Known Issue."

Seriously support should comb thru the forums here and see on a daily basis how many times this issue is being reported..  and forward every instance of it to engineering, this was being reported back in Early January if not before and here we are Mid February and still no fix in sight.

@Raymond2013

If your system has Windows 8, usually when you freeze at the Dell Logo Splash screen a 2nd power off/on will boot to Windows at least this is what a majority of us is seeing.

As to F8 and F12 most of us can't access that either during the splash screen, keys are just ignored and the system usually just boots into the OS.

Again if you are windows 8 - at any place in Windows where you can select the "Shutdown" or "Restart" command from the power options charm or anywhere in the OS that it is available.  If you Hold down a "Shift" key and Select Restart at the same time - the Windows Advanced Boot Manager will start for you.  From there you can access the F2 "Setup" or the F12 "Boot Selection" screens as well as diagnostics and other Advanced Boot options.

Hopefully Dell Engineering will have a fix for this soon enough...

Cheers

February 13th, 2013 14:00

I am not getting anywhere, I have ran the  ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment and all is good, when I exit and reboot I get to see the Dell logo for just a sec and then a black screen, there is no activity on the front of the computer where the lights blink, just the light on the far left is on, the color of the lights for the power and the front are white. I am running Win8. I have turned the computer on and off with the power button three times in a row and nothing, same as before, logo for a sec, i see F12 at right bottom, sometimes blue progress bar and sometimes not. The computer is less than 4 months old, may have to ship it back...... don't want to, please help.......

Thanks

February 13th, 2013 14:00

I am not getting anywhere, I have ran the  ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment and all is good, when I exit and reboot I get to see the Dell logo for just a sec and then a black screen, there is no activity on the front of the computer where the lights blink, just the light on the far left is on, the color of the lights for the power and the front are white. I am running Win8. I have turned the computer on and off with the power button three times in a row and nothing, same as before, logo for a sec, i see F12 at right bottom, sometimes blue progress bar and sometimes not. The computer is less than 4 months old, may have to ship it back...... don't want to, please help.......

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 13th, 2013 15:00

Raymond2013

If your system was ordered with a mSATA drive set up as a cache for the SATA hard drive, then this could be an issue caused by iRST and Windows 8.

Dell-Jesse L  has a good post that should help get you back into Windows.

en.community.dell.com/.../19479550.aspx

Follow the steps below to resolve.

Windows 8 hangs at Dell logo after Shutdown, Restart or Hibernation

* Restart the computer

* Press F2

* Go to Advanced

* Open SATA Operation

* Change it to AHCI from RAID or IRST

* Press F10 to Save changes and Exit the Bios

* Once into Windows, look on the system tray for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Click it

* At the top click Accelerate

* At the bottom click Disassociate

* Click Select device

* Select your HDD (Disk on port 0)

* Click Enhanced Mode

* Click OK

* Please see the following - Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2756872)

272 Posts

Actually I think it's F2 for Bios Setup and F12 for Boot Options on the 17R's, F8 perhaps to start Windows 8 in Safe Mode never actually tried that myself, either way in some instances pressing the F-keys on the splash Dell Logo Screen sometimes doesn't work for me last time that worked was when I was on the A10/A11 Version of the BIOS I can't remember what the Bios Versions was on my shipped unit but since A12 F-Keys are a No-Go,

One Discovery if you can't get into the OS, pull the HD from the system and it will automatically start the BIOS Setup but then again, in this instance I don't know if it will help as I'm not sure if one could change the SATA settings if the HDD is pulled.   Won't hurt to try, if it's a last resort.

I have seen the Dell-Jesse L write-up and for those who do have the mSATA option pre-installed from Dell as a Caching Drive reports back to those threads where it's mentioned as a fix have resolved the issue.

Cheers

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

Please let me know if you are having problems getting into the bios, or if you have problems with the F2 / F8 menus as CyberMaxX360 has mentioned.

TB

February 26th, 2013 14:00

I am unable to use f2 or f8, f12 is functioning

1 Message

June 5th, 2013 02:00

Hi Raymond2013,

Have you been able to solve the problem?

I am facing similar problem and need solution.

Your kind response will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

EALL

June 5th, 2013 09:00

The technician that came out replaced my system board but still had to call the dell tech line to configure the computer, after he got my computer to boot correctly he told me that he thinks the problem actually was in the software. I want to add this note, my problem started after I installed updates that my computer asked for, we are wondering if there was a conflict of interest in the boot sequence and the computer just stops when this happens. When you talk to a tech let them know this, maybe someone can get into the boot sequence and look there first. Hope this helped.

1 Message

August 8th, 2015 11:00

I got error code 0142

message error code 2000-0142

hard drive 1 - self test unsuccessful status 79

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 8th, 2015 18:00

I got error code 0142

message error code 2000-0142

hard drive 1 - self test unsuccessful status 79

Your hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced, preferably with a Solid State Drive.

1 Message

June 21st, 2016 16:00

Hello everYone..

My Dell ispiron laptop would start up properly....check it all..took baterry out and ac cord.press botton for 45 sec..Nothing happen..

Done a diagnostic test and DST SHORT TEST RESULTS FAIL

ERROR CODE 2000-0142

Validation 103028

Hard drive s/n TMA55DZNK5BYJR

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 06:00

The hard drive has failed.  If your system is under warranty, call Dell with the error and they'll replace the drive under warranty.

If the system is out of warranty, please reply with the exact system model (i.e., Inspiron N5110, 5521, etc.) and someone can assist you in choosing a replacement drive.

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 15:00

Help me. When I turn it on, it keeps turning under the dell

Logo. What do I need to do?

No Events found!