Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2012 01:00

Dell Latitude E5520 - display issue

This morning, all of a sudden, the display became blurry, with fuzzy vertical lines moving over the screen.

First thing I tried was to upgrade the BIOS to A07; no change.

The display effect starts as soon as I turn the computer on, so it's not a display driver issue.

I read about the BIST and ran it.  It returned the following information.

Error Code 2000-0415

Validation 49839

Msg: Cables - check the following: LCD Cable

Any ideas how to proceed from here?

Thank you for any suggestions.

18 Posts

June 9th, 2012 01:00

Hi Kevin,

I have been able to get hold of someone at Dell Japan (in China) who speaks some English. It appears that someone from Dell will come here on Monday and repair my Latitude.

Thank you for all the help you have given and offered me, but this time I feel more comfortable if an expert opens my laptop.  (I will of course watch very carefully, so next time I may try it myself.)

Kind regards,

Pat

3 Apprentice

• 

185 Posts

June 7th, 2012 02:00

Good Morning Pat

Thank you for contacting the community.

When you ran the BIST test, could you still see the same Fuzzy vertical lines running through the screen?

Sometimes re-seating the LCD cable can resolve such issues, but if you have an external monitor, could you test that on the notebook, and see if the same fuzzy display is present on that.

To re-seat the LCD Cable, check the following manual:

support.dell.com/.../GUID-782093D6-C5CF-43C2-86B9-5EB4BEAE7B67.html

Please let us know how you get on Pat, usually, such issues can be attributed to the LCD cable becoming unhinged, but this could also be a hardware issue.

Kind Regards

Kevin

18 Posts

June 7th, 2012 03:00

Thank you for your quick reply, Kevin.

To answer your question: yes, the display was the same during the BIST test.

Regarding your suggestion to reseat the LCD cable, which step of the manual you linked does that?  I have opened a number of Dell desktop computers before, but never a laptop.

Thank you again,

Pat

3 Apprentice

• 

185 Posts

June 7th, 2012 03:00

Hi Pat

I have added you as a friend and sent you a message with my email address on it.

Regards

Kevin

18 Posts

June 7th, 2012 04:00

Hi Kevin,

I have received (and accepted) your friend request, but no message.

Thanks,

Pat

3 Apprentice

• 

185 Posts

Hi Pat

Can you drop me an email when you log back on in the morning please, we will go through this more in depth.

kevin_hamill@dell.com

Thanks Again Pat

Kevin

18 Posts

P.S. I am logging out for tonight (I am in Japan), but will check the forum first thing tomorrow morning.

18 Posts

June 7th, 2012 19:00

Hi Kevin,

I have to go out today; this may have to wait a day or two longer.

Thanks,

Pat

No Events found!