Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2017 07:00

Dell Latitude E6320 - Overheating and throttling while full load

Hello, i've bought a used Dell Latitude E6320 few weeks ago with Intel i5 2520m procesor, integrated Intel HD 3000 and upgraded to 6GB RAM. Everything is fine exept for throttle and high temps when i was playing a game or rendering a video, the procesor just hits a 99*C in few minutes and then it throttles. I already changed twice the thermal pase to another but it doesnt change anything. A lot of temp drop does a removing back cover but i guess this is not a good idea to use laptop without back cover for everyday usage. Also i tried to use a cooling pad but it doesnt really help with that too. Disabling Turbo Boost or Hyper-Threading doesnt make any changes in temperatures. There is a way to finally get rid with this problem?

And yes, the fan is blasting with very hot air.

Laptop Specs:

Dell Latitude E6320, Intel i5-2520m 2.5Ghz + Intel HD 3000, 1x4GB and 1x2GB Samsung DDR3 1333Mhz ram sticks, 320GB Hitachi HDD

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 21st, 2017 10:00

In my opinion, I think your expectations of what this 6 year old laptop can do are too high. Low ended Intel HD GPU, mid range CPU with only a 3MB L3 cache and 6GB ram. It sounds like you are just pushing that 6 year old hardware too much. For games or video rendering, you would need a system with a i7 CPU, Nvidia or AMD GPU, 16GB ram.

5 Posts

September 21st, 2017 14:00

"you need a system with i7 CPU, Nvidia or AMD GPU,16GB RAM"

Waow, thanks for the tip for upgrade...but i asked for SOLUTION about OVERHEATING, not a UPGRADE.

I got this  laptop cheaply for a placehold before i'll get a probably Precision M6600 with dedicated GPU (before getting a E6320 i had a laptop based on netbook AMD E300 soc). The performance is actually enough for me but only the problem is when i want to run anything which stress CPU+GPU at the same time and the laptop is overheating and throttles soo there is a problem about cooling the CPU, not about overall performance. Thats why im asking there for help about ideas to keep cool the laptop.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 13:00

That's just it, for that low ended hardware and the high resource software you want to use, I cannot think of a "solution". Then end result of that combination is overheating.

5 Posts

September 26th, 2017 14:00

I fixed the overheating by applying Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut under the heatsink and the temps dropped from 100*C to 86*C...soo the excuse that the hardware is not enough for modern programs is very poor.

No Events found!