Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2013 14:00

Dell Latitude E7440 - Win8 - laptop won't return from standby mode

I just bought a brand new Dell Latitude E7440, it is only 6 days old. When i put the computer into standby mode, it goes fine, but when I try to 'wake it up' the screen display only windows welcome screen, drive indicator show heavy workload and nothing happens for a long time. Windows 8 and drivers with all updates. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 nothing changed. Dell diagnostic software does not show any errors. The only thing I have been able to do to get my computer to run again is holding the power button until it turns off and restarting it. I don't understand why the computer won't return from standby mode; if anyone has any answers PLEASE help!

2 Posts

February 18th, 2014 00:00

I have exactly the same problem - if anyone can shed any light on this, that would be great

2 Posts

February 18th, 2014 01:00

According to me the problem is in the "intel rapid" software, after turning off this option in the bios (change to ahci) and uninstall software the problems are gone. For 2 weeks I checked different combinations of settings and software updates, but only it helped, I did reinstall the OS (Win8 or wine 8.1) nothing has changed, the currently have Win7 and AHCI (SSD on mSATA). From 1.5 months laptop works perfectly.

Regards,

Artur

2 Posts

March 21st, 2014 20:00

I am having the exact same problem with my new refurbished Latitude E7440 running Windows 8. I am disappointed as I only received the laptop on Wednesday afternoon. :emotion-18:

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 05:00

Aha - our tech guys have solved this with Dell by geting Dell to replace the motherboard.  Having said that, the fix is not totally complete yet.  Dell replaced the motherboard once - and that didn't work.  So then they said they had a newer version of motherboard, and the engineer came back and put that in instead. This seems to have solved the wake up problem (although not completely tested in all modes yet), but created another problem which is that it is now permanently stuck in "flight safe" mode - the flight safe switch does nothing.   Looks like the engineer might have to come back again.   We didn't try the change disk access mode in the bios idea from Artur yet because I wanted to avoid rebuilding the laptop until no other options left.

22 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 06:00

8.1 OR U UPG TO 8.1 ?

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 06:00

8.1 OR U UPG TO 8.1 ?

UPG 8.1

1 Message

June 18th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

Select Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager. > Control Vault Device > Power Management Tab  and uncheck the box “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" > click Ok > Reboot

If the issue remains select Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager. > O2 Card Reader > disable > click Ok > Reboot

If the steps above doesnt help read this:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PowerCfgTheHiddenEnergyAndBatteryToolForWindowsYoureNotUsing.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

regards

caZper

1 Message

October 18th, 2015 13:00

Disable the Airplane Mode Collection in Devices->Human Interface Devices.  They caused me a two hour headache.

No Events found!