Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EG

August 31st, 2014 16:00

Dell STUDIO 1555

Can I please have some assistance to determine if my motherboard or hard drive in my Studio 1555 have died.

I turned on my computer last night and it did not boot - no dell logo, no windows, unable to run diagnostics, unable to enter BIOS.  I can hear the cd/dvd drive initialise, keyboard is backlit, and fan is running.  I was able to successfully test the screen so that is not the problem.

I have tried all sorts of trouble shooting - I have unplugged and taken out battery, drained residual power by pressing the power button and then plugging back into AC power, still the same issue.

I have checked the RAM, that is not the issue.

So how do I determine what hardware is causing this issue, when there are no beeps when I turn it on and I cannot run diagnostics?

Thanks in advance.

Elle

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 31st, 2014 17:00

Can you get an image on an external monitor?

2 Posts

August 31st, 2014 17:00

No

2 Posts

May 6th, 2015 09:00

Black Screen on Studio 1555

I have an issue with my Studio 1555 laptop. Whenever I switch it on, the power light is on but the screen stays black.

I searched around the forum for details and have tried the built in LCD test by pressing D before powering the laptop. When I do this, I get 5 different colors displayed on the screen. This seems to suggest that the LCD is working fine.

Please suggest what could be wrong.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 6th, 2015 11:00

It's likely a bad video chip -- the mainboard would need to be replaced.  Whether you want to invest a few hundred dollars in this is up to you -- given the age of the system, the $300 or more you might spend would likely be better put toward a new system.

No Events found!