Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2009 19:00

Dell Studio 1537 Randomly Shutting Off During Use

So I have searched through forums looking for a solution to this problem, and I have seen that other users have experienced similar problems with other studio laptops.  I'm not sure why this is happening but when I'm using my computer it makes a clicking noise (like the noise when you normally shut it down) and shuts off randomly.  I haven't had it on for an extended period of time and it isn't that hot.  Thought it might be overheating or some other battery connection issue, but it's not.  I bought it previously ordered new from the Dell Outlet so it should be brand new. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem or if Dell is providing any help with this extremely aggravating issue.  I'm a college student and it's been happening to me in the middle of doing assignments.  I bought this computer specifically for school and all while it performs nicely for the most part, the random shutting down is simply unacceptable.  I bought it in January so I don't know what the warranty is like.  Any help would be appreciated.  I sure haven't gotten any yet.  

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name JED-NOTEBOK

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Studio 1537

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5800  @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 11/17/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

User Name Jed-Notebok\Jed

Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 2.96 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.55 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.12 GB

Available Virtual Memory 4.35 GB

Page File Space 3.25 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

1 Message

February 12th, 2010 16:00

My studio 15 is only TWO DAYS OLD and already shut down unexpectedly twice in two days.  I'm going away on vacation for a week and need the laptop, but as soon as I get back I'm going to try and get this sorted out.  Shameful that there doesn't seem to be action or information on this issue from Dell. 

Anyone know if I should clone the hard drive if I need to send it back for repair or will they return it unchanged (programs/apps/files/settings/etc.)?

4 Posts

February 12th, 2010 17:00

send it back and exchange for a new one.  it's a bad motherboard.  you don't want to mess with it.

February 20th, 2010 00:00

I just got my studio 15 with the i3 chip,  first day i got it.......... it shut off on me 5 times for no reason,  I though maybe I got a virus, but the only thing I've installed so far is firefox and media player classic.  Did a scan no virus found.  Called Dell support and they updated my bios seemed to work OK for one day  today it went off again for no reason.

Dunno if i should try to resolve it with dell or just return it......I love the  Full HD screen on this.....its not easy to find a 15 inch that offers full HD.

2 Posts

February 21st, 2010 03:00

hi, I had the same exact problem with my Studio, and it did turn out to be overheating. You can check your CPU temperature with 'Everest Home Edition' software. Mine was 83 C, extremely hot. After replacing CPU and the fan module no problem for the last three months. All the best !

17 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 08:00

All,  I got the Studio 1558 with the i5 processor and W7 at the end of January.  I got the random shut down early on the first days (Computer was improperly shut down).  I thought I was doing something wrong, but the shut downs randomly continued.  After a week I contacted and worked with the Dell Tech Support via remote connection with my computer.  Ran the diagnostics- PASS, checked the bios and updates- all at the latest level.  He did adjust the power management to NEVER go off.  It "seemed" to be better.  They followed up in a few days in whcih no shut down accurred.  It did happen again and that is when Dell decided to replace the motherboard (but used the old CPU).  The Repair Tech came out the very next day as Dell Tech Support promised.  As he turned it on and went into the Windows Setup screen  for diagnostics, the computer shut down again- he saw it!  Other problems with the brightness f4,5, also were not fixed.  Dell was contacted and the computer is being sent back in an exchange.  Bottom line- get you computer sent back for an exchange, whcih is a 3 week process, and assuming the issue is hardware related. There are some underlying issues with Dell's hardware and software compatibility and testing.  Good luck

March 10th, 2010 23:00

I've had my 1558 for a few days now and I've had the same random shutdown issue.  Dell has identified this issue as a problem with the shipped A03 bios.  You will need to call Dell support to get a replacement as there is no bios revision to fix this issue.

1 Message

March 11th, 2010 10:00

Yeah I'm having the same problems with my Studio 1558...I just got off the phone with someone from Dell Support.  According to them the software to fix this problem is going to be available tomorrow.  The person is suppose to call me back tomorrow and guide me through it.  Hopefully that does solve the problem.  We'll see. I'll keep you updated.

4 Posts

March 14th, 2010 23:00

My 1558 just did the same thing. The power went completely off when I was in the middle of syncing my zune. I'd just turned the computer on, so it wasn't hot at all. I've had this thing for less than a week! I guess if (feeling optimistic) it happens again I'll call dell.

March 14th, 2010 23:00

Don't wait, you need to call Dell.  This is a known issue and will not go away.

35 Posts

March 15th, 2010 00:00

For the 1558'ers in this thread, there is a BIOS update A04 that will be posted shortly, but if you want it immediately, you can contact Dell Chat Support, and they will provide it to you as soon as you mention you need BIOS A04 for your Studio 1558. They are aware of the issue, and they have a link to the download at a filehosting company that they will give you. It fixed the problem everyone has been having with the fan not re-initializing after coming out of sleep and sometimes not from a cold-boot. According to the tech support rep, the thermal shutdown is set to much lower than the processor can sustain, so no harm should come to your laptop from this.

I can verify it has been shutting down around 90C, and according to Intel, the maximum the CPU can sustain is 105C while the GPU can sustain 100C. I tend to agree with the technical support person on this matter, and believe that the laptops will be fine since they have them shutoff well before they could sustain any long term damage.

1.8K Posts

March 15th, 2010 07:00

My 1558 just did the same thing. The power went completely off when I was in the middle of syncing my zune. I'd just turned the computer on, so it wasn't hot at all. I've had this thing for less than a week! I guess if (feeling optimistic) it happens again I'll call dell.

The A04 bios update is available for download now.   If you go to http://support.Dell.com and click on the Drivers & Downloads section you can use your service tag to select the drivers for your system.  Then select the BIOS category and download the latest BIOS.   Hopefully that should resolve your issue.

10 Posts

March 20th, 2010 15:00

I have the same problem with my Studio 1537.  Randomly powers down in IE, Outlook, Excel, etc.  Seems to happen when something causes the CPU to throttle up.  One Excel Macro I have that throttles up the CPU will power down the computer every time.  Dell support tells me this is a software problem and they have to charge me.  I will never buy another Dell again after buying 5 in a row.   I have all of the exact same software on a new $350 ACER laptop with similar hardware and it works great!  

1 Message

March 22nd, 2010 00:00

the BIOS update has fixed it for me

5 Posts

April 29th, 2010 15:00

I have a Dell Studio 1555, and am having same issue.  Started when i was playing starcraft 2 beta, now my wife tells me she is having it happen to her at random times now outside of that game.

Very frustrating.

5 Posts

April 29th, 2010 15:00

I have a Dell Studio 1555, and am having same issue.  Started when i was playing starcraft 2 beta, now my wife tells me she is having it happen to her at random times now outside of that game.

Very frustrating.

No Events found!