Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2013 10:00

Dell Studio 1537, Windows Vista 64 bit - "No Audio Output Device is installed" message

Hello,

My Dell Studio 1537 laptop,running Vista 64 bit, has no audio.One day I started hearing crackling audio and finally the sound disappeared completely.

I tried reinstalling the audio driver using the Dell drivers CD provided to me,but it doesn't work.I also tried installing the IDT audio driver via Device Manager,but it give an error saying the devIce cannot be installed.Currently the "Sound,video and game controllers" section in my Device Manger is showing nothing at all.

Please advise me on how to fix the problem,as I have tried several things so far and am at a loss right now.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 7th, 2013 12:00

Hello. You will probably need a new motherboard to fix it.

When the IDT driver is absent then Windows Vista automatically installs its native HD audio driver, but that has not happened -- if it had you would see it in Device Manager as "High Definition Audio Device". So it is not just an issue with the IDT driver.

You can confirm that by restoring to the original factory configuration by using the Dell Factory Image Restore if you still have the image. When restoring to the factory image does not cure an audio problem that is because the problem was caused by a hardware failure, not software.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for the response.

To let you know,the issue has been more about 2-3 months,and just till a week back,Windows was automatically installing the HD Audio driver ,and showing as "High Definition Audio Device" in Device Manager,but there was no sound with that driver.I also tried the below steps in sequence:

Uninstall the High Definition Audio Device in Device Mgr

Uninstall the Microsoft Audio Controller under "System devices" in Device Mgr

Clicking on "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Mgr.

But on doing the above 3,windows was installing the "High Definition Audio Device" every time,instead of IDT, and there was no sound.

And recently,I don't see the Microsoft Audio Controller at all under "System devices" ,and no audio devices in "Sound,video and game controllers" in Device Mgr.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 8th, 2013 06:00

So there was crackling and then no sound with the IDT driver, and also no sound with the native Windows driver. It points to hardware failure.

Uninstall the Microsoft Audio Controller under "System devices" in Device Mgr

Probably not a good idea to uninstall system files. That file should resides in the Windows\system32\Drivers folder:

C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\hdaudiobus.sys

If it is missing there are instructions on the internet for restoring it. Maybe you can do a repair using the Vista installation cd. You might be able to just copy and paste from another computer but there might be permission issues involved. Windows system files are a bit outside of my area so I'm vague on the exact fix. However if the audio was not working with either of the 2 audio drivers before you uninstalled the audio bus driver, then I doubt that reinstalling the bus driver will fix the audio. I would restore the laptop back to the original configuration which would get Windows setup properly again. If the audio still failed that would be definite confirmation of a hardware issue.

No Events found!