Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2013 00:00

Dell Studio 1558 - Windows 8 Pro - AMD Catalyst mobility 13.4 driver - Backlight issue

My current OS is Windows 8 Pro, Display driver: AMD 13-4_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

1   If set Backlit brightness to level 2 for example, and after some time display turns off (turn off display after X minute) by itself, or restart the laptop; the Backlit brightness level remains same (level 2) but the actual Luminosity (Intensity of backlit) changes to something else.

2   If I decrease the Backlit brightness (Fn + F4) to level 0 (the minimum level), and if I further press the key combination (Fn + F4) to decrease Backlit brightness, it will change the Backlit brightness, but the Backlit brightness should not be changing because it already reaches to the minimum level.

This issue doesn't happen in Windows 7 with the same driver.

Have anyone experienced this issue?
Is there any solution for this apart from reverting back to ATI v12.1 ?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi tdas777,

The drivers available for Studio 1558 from our support web site are compatible only with Windows 7 and you may have to revert to ATI v12.1 drivers.

94 Posts

July 5th, 2013 08:00

Seems like we need to change laptop/computers every time for new OS. Or stick to the old OS.

Ridiculous

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi tdas777,

You may try installing the Windows 7 drivers in Compatibility Mode and check if the Catalyst Control Center works properly.

4 Posts

December 24th, 2014 21:00

I too have a Studio 1558 that came with Windows 7 factory installed. I upgraded for free to Windows 8 back when it came out directly from Windows, then to 8.1.  This was at least a couple years ago.  Last Sunday my screen flickered and I got the AMD display driver stopped responding message, but it never recovered and eventually the computer shut down. Since then, I've only been able to use my computer for at most 10 minutes before the screen gets the blurry "fuzz" and eventually the screen is unreadable then black.  I've had to Dell people tell me I have reinstall Windows 7 since Dell never allowed the Studio 1558 to be upgraded to Windows 8 so it was MY FAULT for not checking with Dell first (do I have to check with Dell before I install every program on my computer???). Of course a reinstall of WIndows 7 will wipe out everything I have on my hard drive.  Any other solution?

No Events found!