Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2012 03:00

Dell Studio 1747 - Not booting & No display - With External screen works fine

Hi, my studio 1747 (not in warranty) (i7 win7),has stopped booting anymore it was working fine till last week ( occasionally my screen does flick in last coupon of month), So when I do turn my system on all upper volumn light flashes from left to right and then right to left and then system turn off itself, during that period screen show no display.

connecting external monitor (TV via hdmi) does work and system boots fine show display on external monitor but no display on system LCD. Something display flicks on external montor also, it happens when my laptop LCD tries to display something (i.e. sometime laptop LCD flicks and sometime it display for few seconds and then go back to Black screen). Also when connect external monitor my mouse pad stops work and sometime works when I connect usb mouse, but when LCD screen start display something, mouse pad also starts work.

I tried all stuff, whatever I could find on internet as below
   1) Taking battery off and press power button for 1 min.
   2)  Hold 'D' key and then press power button ... LCD sometime show some color and then goes back to black.
   3) Removed battery and CMOS battery to total drain of charges.
   4) Removed keyboard panel and checked LCD display cable and make sure its not loose.

To me it seems like motherboard, graphic card are fine as system is working on external monitor, LCD screen also looks fine as sometime is display and not greying out (its either Black-out or display). As I have also checked cable is properly attached with motherboard, so it can't be loose connection. Don't understand why LCD works sometime.

Please could you guys help me out, what else I can do before taking it to repair shop (no idea how much they will charge me).

Many Thanks

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 13:00

Hi Rupert,

I have solved this problem in my case having isolated .the fault to the touchpad area. The problem was with what I think may be a lid open/close sensor which is part of the touchpad buttons circuit board, You will need an external mouse to enable you to use the computer until you can change the faulty component but the following procedure, if it works as it has in my case, will enable to positively identify the problem and you will be able continue using the computer. You may like to try the following but I obviously take no responsibility if you damage your computer - do this at your own risk.

So try doing the following: -  firstly remove the computer battery pack to ensure there is no power in the computer. Make sure that you do not have a static electricity charge in your body that can cause problems when you touch with your fingers any metal part or especially componants or cable connections of the computer.  Then carefully unsnap and remove the bezel surrounding the keyboard - there are no screws.   Carefully, with a thin plastic blade or similar, pry up the bezel (also known as the 'center control cover') starting along the back edge, and work your way around. Having removed this 'center control cover' trim you will expose the four fastening screws for the keyboard. Remove these four screws and then lift up the keyboard and fold it back over towards you to rest upside down on the palm rest. Now you will see the keyboard connection to motherboard flat cable. To the left of this cable is a smaller flat cable - this is the cable from the combined touch pad and buttons units. Carefully lift up the near edge of the black strip of plastic, part of the cable connector -  which hinges up and away from you and releases the smaller flat cable thus isolating the touch pad and buttons from the motherboard. Make sure that the loose end of the cable is not touching any metal or other circuit parts and carefully lay the keyboard back into its correct position taking care that the keyboard flat cable is correctly folded down.

You don't need to re-assemble the computer yet but you can try switching it on. So support the keyboard from sliding about as it is not yet re-attached with its four screws and refit the battery. now try switching on the computer and if this process has been successful, as it was with my Dell Studio 1747, you will find the problem has disappeared and the computer boots up normally with no fuss and the screen display is as normal. Reattach the keyboard screws and the 'center control cover' and now continue to operate the computer with the external mouse only as the touchpad etc is disabled. If this is the solution to the problem you then can search for a replacement button unit - probably you don't need to replace the whole touch pad. Let us know how you get on - good luck. 747spokes.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 30th, 2012 03:00

Hi w.rehman,

Based on your post that the LCD screen is working intermittently, this may be an issue with the LCD cable or it’s an issue with the port where the LCD cable is connected to the motherboard. Since you done all the hardware troubleshooting in the system, you can try updating the BIOS, Chipset and Video drivers. Please use the link below to download the drivers.

Link for BIOS:    http://dell.to/TXsMuI     

Please connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system once the update is initiated and until the system restarts completely.

Link for Chipset driver: http://dell.to/U6avuU      

http://dell.to/X7Ghip AMD driver

After updating the drivers and still problem persists, you may have to replace the LCD screen.

December 27th, 2014 06:00

Hi,

I was wondering if any of these options worked.

I am currently having the same issues however the screen keeps flicking so much as it detects and then undetects my laptop screen so much that it's almost impossible to do anything so I am finding it really difficult to get to these links, I also tried to reset the bios but it won't allow me to see the screen for long enough on the bios to do anything.

Any thoughts?
All help is welcome.

Rupert

10 Posts

December 28th, 2014 16:00

Hi. I am having exactly the same problem with a dell 1747. The main screen flicks on and off randomly as does the external screen that I have connected. The external screen seems to hold the picture for longer, long enough to be able to access F2 - setup and F10 - boot options. But it keeps flicking off - loses the signal - and then on again. Since the problem is the same with both displays I don't think it can be the main screen motherboard connecting socket. Would a depleted cmos battery cause this? Probably not. I believe a depleted cmos battery would just mean the date/time etc entries would be lost but the machine should still boot up. Is ot a bios problem? Frequently also when attempting to boot up sometimes, after the flashing light array, the system beeps five times, and then repeats the beeps again and again, or shuts down after the first set of five beeps. Then I can only get it to at least get back to the intermittent sreen showings if I remove the main battery and disconnect the cmos/bios battery for a minute or so. Otherwise it keeps shutting down after the first set of five beeps. Frustrating. I have changed the mother board for second used one that is quoted as fully servicable but the same problem persists. I did read that Dell released a bios upgrade but that was for the symptom of seven beeps. No problem stripping the machine, not difficult. This machine I bought already quoted as faulty but I hope I can repair it!! I've changed a few faulty bits such as the power on button and cable and repaired a broken hinge anchor. I would really appreciate some help as Rupert above also would! Thanks. 747spokes.

January 3rd, 2015 06:00

Hi 747spokes,

Thanyou so much for the help, I thought that it might be the computer thinking the screen was closed however when taking apart the computer and looking online I couldn't find the sensor used for this.
Had the touchpad disconnected in seconds and now all up and working! I will have a look for the spare part, fit it and let you know how that goes.

Fortunately I have already switched mine to a touch screen as it had an incident falling off a table a few years ago so still simple to use either with or without the external mouse, although the bevelled cover doesn't fit back over the thicker screen making my computer look more and more related to terminator than the slick design it started off with.

Thanks for all the help again, I was so close to buying a screen and cables just to switch them out to see what might be broken.

Kind regards

Rupert

10 Posts

February 8th, 2015 04:00

Hi Rupert. I just checked back to see if there was any further comment about this problem. So you have managed to fit the thicker touch screen but useing the original bevalled back cover/lid. The touch screen version does have a thicker back cover and slightly different hinges.

The non touch screen lid has a part number of DP/N OJY4J8 but the correct lid for the thicker touch screen is DP/N OC773T. Also you may need to change the hinges, if you don’t already have them, for the thicker lid (part numbers of touchscreen-specific hinges Left hinge: F587T and Right hinge: 53TH9)..

I found the following company (Ben Taggart - Parts-People.com, Inc ) very helpful in finding out this info but they did not have the correct back cover or hinges for the touch screen.

However you can find these items from a google search from elsewhere.

I found a replacement palm rest complete with touch pad and lid sensor but have not tried it yet. i've just left the touch pad etc dissconnected and use an external mouse as well as the touch screen.

How are you getting on with your machine?

Regards, Simon.

10 Posts

March 26th, 2015 05:00

Hi Rupert,

Just wondering how you are getting on with your 1747. A couple more problems have cropped up:

1. i cannot find the correct half height sized TV tuner card for the 1747 - any ideas? Does your 1747 have a TV tuner card installed? - Accessible by removing the underside cover.

2. A more serious problem: My 1747 refuses to charge the battery. I thought the existing battery, when I bought the machine second hand, was faulty and so bought a new one. However, when I allowed the new batt to discharge to 2% remaining, and then set it to recharge overnight, the next day it was still at 2% and had not charged at all - even though it gave the message of the adapter connected and charging. Following a suggestion I found on the net I installed MS Net Framework 2.5 but no change. Have you had this problem?

Hope you see this message and I look forward to your reply. Seems a lot of other 1747 owners have had this issue with no resolution.

Regards, Simon 747spokes.

No Events found!