Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

March 4th, 2005 01:00

Dell Support

Has anyone else here had/have major problems with Dell support?

I have had a problem with my machine for weeks now after they replaced a bad mainboard, and have had to wait on hold for easily a total of 12 hours between at least eight calls in the last 10 days before I was able to talk to anyone.

Has everyone had these problems? How have you successfully dealt with this issue?

They have even given me special codes to get directly to people, but those people never pick up, and they do not return phone calls.

What should we do? Is this a common problem for everyone?

9 Posts

March 4th, 2005 02:00

My new laptop won't power up.

I just waited for half an hour, and got to a desktop support guy, instead of Inspiron laptop support.  He gave me a phone number, extension and a 9-digit incident code.  Then he transferred me to the right department.  I waited for another half an hour on phone and no one answered.  I called the number he gave me and entered the extension.  Then the phone system asked me for an 8-digit code.  I tried to remove random number from my 9-digit code to no avail.  Well, too bad.  I called the dell number and waited for another hour.  Then I hang up.

See my own thread which I am going to start after venting about this problem.

The laptop came with no user manual.  There is no troubleshooting guide whatsoever.  The support website has random information on various different pages.  My problem has to do with power up.  I couldn't even find up-to-date information on new batteries with self-test button.  The message played over phone while I waited kept talking about support.dell.com/fixit or something like that.  I can't find such page.

What happened to the award-winning customer support?  Where is my new purchase rapid response phone number?

I have had nothing but good customer support experiences before with my previous Dell purchases.  What happened in the last two years?

Message Edited by fredhsu on 03-03-2005 10:36 PM

24 Posts

March 4th, 2005 14:00

Awful.  Terrible.  See my thread about my Inspiron 5150 dying.  I went round and round with people last year when my desktop died, and never got anywhere.  We've had people promise to call, and they never do.  We've been given the numbers to call and no one answers.  Any time I ask for a manager, they're in meetings.  I wrote letter and after letter and when I finally got a reponse from Dell the person on the phone was plain rude. 

We switched to Dell a few years back after poor service elsewhere, and you're right, it's been in the last couple of years that things have gone downhill with Dell too.  Guess we'll be going elsewhere ONCE AGAIN.

March 4th, 2005 14:00

I am sitting here laughing at you guys. When I need to talk to Dell support, I do not call. I always email. You have to wait a while for them to return your email, but you can do things and not stay on the phone. Also, the email troops are more competent than the phone rangers so your problem will be solved faster and more accurate. Try it out:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/emailcustomercare?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

24 Posts

March 4th, 2005 15:00

Ah, but Fenderguy, you should not laugh.  That's not nice.

For some who are not well-versed in computer-ese, like my father, who has totally given up on getting real help from Dell at all, they need someone to help walk them through it.  He's relatively new as a computer user and really needs the personalized help.  He wouldn't even have a computer if I couldn't help him.  So email is not really an option for everyone. 

Remember that are those out there who are not as brilliant, as educated, as computer savvy as you, apparently, are.

There is another option for him. Dell does have an online chat room that you can talk to a real person in real time. All he would have to do is know how to type.

And I wasn't really laughing, I just said that. :smileyvery-happy:

24 Posts

Type?  My Dad? 

Now I'm laughing...:smileywink:

March 4th, 2005 16:00

Maybe I could rephrase my point. If all possible, email Dell. If you have absolutly no way of emailing Dell, then call. Do everything you can though to email, this includes friends, kiosk at the mall, library, or another personal computer. Otherwise, call Dell.

Just trying to be helpful to all those people who complain about the terrible phone service.

24 Posts

Bad point, good point, Fred. 

Leave the signature alone.  Don't make it personal.

And he does make a good point, Fender, when he says that it's a little tough to use email on a failed machine.  If my husband didn't have a laptop (the one I'm using to post this) I certainly wouldn't be online.  Mine's dead.  I'd have no choice but to call, and their phone service is pretty poor.

Well, it was only a suggestion. Maybe you could type for him.

Hey now, don't be hating. That's my signature and I'm not changing it.

9 Posts

Well, Fender, please accept my apology about my comment.  You made a good point about emailing.  I hope my recent bad experience with customer support is just a glitch in the matrix.

9 Posts

What's that 20-line inventory list doing in everyone of your post?  I mean, I can see how some people put in the time to quote a new famouse quote by some random guy, as signature for their post.  But the same inventory in every post...  we all know what you own by this time, my friend.  There is no need to repeat old information.

We are talking about 'customer support' for the average guy.  I bought this laptop for my mom.  And if there weren't another working computer with internet connection in their house, I couldn't have found the online user manual when I brought the brand new (and defunct) laptop to their house, let alone sending email to some customer support guy and wait for response on another day.  Remember, the laptop came with NO user manual whatsoever and no customer support information either.  See my thread on the Inspiron 6000.

12 Posts

March 4th, 2005 19:00

I actually like the guy's post of all the hardware that he has had replaced.

Me?

3rd Mainboard
2nd Ram
3nd Fan
3rd Keyboard
What else...........

Heck, there was more replaced I believe, but on second thought...dell does not care, so...

12 Posts

March 4th, 2005 19:00

Fenderguy wrote something about e'mail tech support, and that being better.

What a terrible suggestion. That we e'mail? Since two weeks ago when I had my mainboard replaced, I have had to be in contact with dell almost every day since then, and if I had to wait for a simple e'mail conversation, I would NEVER have had anything fixed by now.

Has anyone else experienced this: When I speak to them after finally getting someone on the phone,they give me bad information or bad tech suggestions that cause more harm than good. Last week, one tech gave me such bad advice that I may have to reinstall my entire OS, and because I customize my machine so much, it takes me EASILY 20+ hours if I have to reinstall the OS and programs. So, if I had to wait for e'mail help, I'd never get anywhere. Plus, what happens if your problem is that your machine does not work anymore? How can one e'mail then?

The problem is their support. They do not have enough tech support, and those that they have are really not qualified for the job in many cases. Hopefully someone from dell actually reads this and is taking notes. It's too bad too, because many of us were happy with Dell before we had to go through all this, and they are losing good customers every time we have to wait on hold for so long and then get bad tech support after waiting on hold all that time.

Who here would actually get another dell?

March 4th, 2005 20:00

You know Fona, maybe I should ask you this, have you ever tried to email instead of calling? If not, i can't believe that you are saying that it's a terrible suggestion. Here is why i say it's better,

1) Everyone says that Dell's phone service is terrible.
2) It takes me 1 day of emailing, I get my replacement stuff the next day, or in the case of a mainboard, 4 days from when I shipped it.
3) All the time that I spend doing the email thing takes no more than 10 minutes out of my life, while calling takes you 10 days and 12 hours

Now, which one sounds better, anyone else care to tell me?
No Events found!