Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2009 12:00

Dell Vostro 1220C and network crossover cable

Hello,

We are having a problem with a Dell Vostro computer. We are connecting the unit to another computer via a Category 5 crossover cable.  We are running Windows XP Pro Service pack 3. The computers will not handshake or communicate at all. On the Vostro 1220 it reports that the network cable is not connected.  For sure this crossover cable is working. This other computer can connect to other computers via the same crossover cable.

We had the motherboard for the Dell Vostro 1220 replaced with the hopes that this would correct the problem. It didn't.

We are using the RealTek 8168D/8111D PCI-E GBE NIC version 5.718.323.2009  (03/23/09). I have also tried a newer driver from Realtek (5.736). However this did not provide the functionality needed to get the two computers to connect.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a resolution. Dell has not been very helpful for this matter.

Thanks

Mike

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 11th, 2009 07:00

check the firewall settings

3 Posts

Hi there,

I'm currently having the same problem.  I know the cable is good and I've tried every NIC driver I can find.  I went through Dell's Pay As You Need service for a little over an hour and they were unable to resolve the problem (they did not charge me).  And that is where it stopped.  Dell is apparently unwilling to correct the problem.

If anyone does know of a fix or this, I would really appreciate it!

Tom

3 Posts

I turned the firewall off just to eliminate that as a problem.  I have a Latitude D410 that it works perfectly on.  I've set the Vostro to the exact same network settings and it does not work.

No Events found!