Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2012 16:00

Dell XPS 12 Touch screen stop working when flipping screen

Hi,

So I bought the XPS 12 a month ago, and it is fantastic! However, I have been experiencing a problem: 

When I flip the screen to go into tablet mode, after a short while, the touch stops working. The screen still shows what it's supposed to, but it won't register my fingers (or anyone elses...) 

I have seen another post about a similar problem at the forum (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19477009/20235618.aspx), but the solutions given (update BIOS, update chipset and video drivers, calibrating the touch screen) didn't solve my problem.

Are there any other solutions available, or is this a problem only I am experiencing?  

Sincerely,

Ben

2 Posts

March 8th, 2013 16:00

Someone here posted a quick fix.  It is not a solution to the actual problem, but you are able to reuse the touch screen after a few seconds. Press Fn+F1 then use the arrow keys to scroll to the bottom and click enter on "second screen only".  Your screen will go blank but then left click on the touch pad and screen is working again.  Hope this helps!

1 Message

March 9th, 2013 01:00

I bought the xps 12 for my girlfriend for her birthday and it is also having the touch screen issue. Of course as far as she is ocncerned it seems to be MY fault. I have pointed out that it isn't my fault but Dells, who given the amount of people having this problem MUST have known about this bug at launch and decided to start selling and get the $$$ in and who cares about the poor customers :emotion-8:

I won't be buying another Dell product, neither I expect willanyone else here, anyone who finds this thread or soon anyone who picks up on this through social media.

Tom.

1 Message

March 12th, 2013 10:00

For everybody who's been experiencing the frozen screen issue - I'm a Dell business customer with Pro support.  I put up with this issue for a week.  Yesterday an engineer came on-site and replaced the screen and motherboard.  so far, since the engineer left I haven't had a lock-up.  I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of days and will report back.

Also, anybody finding that the Wifi is useless, Dell released a new driver last week.  That's complete fixed that issue for me.

(http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ie/en/iebsdt1/DriverDetails/Product/xps-12-l221x?driverId=N9HRX&osCode=W864&fileId=3153883410&languageCode=en )

Will keep you posted...

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 21:00

I'm really sad for Dell, but unfortunately I don't think I'll purchase from them after the experience with the XPS 12.

What tipped me over the edge is how they publicly announced that the PC market will die - actually no Dell, if the experience continues in the future, it'll probably your company that dies first. Laying off employees and people losing jobs is bad, but if other better companies like Lenovo and Asus takes over it'll be a short term issue and better for us overall.

After all, that's how nature works. The strong lives on and weak dies so the survivability of the species is better.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2013 13:00

Dear Terry,

I bought my XPS12 in February in Switzerland, and I experience the same Problem.

Best Regards,

Thomas M.

1 Message

April 11th, 2013 05:00

Yet another unhappy customer with the same issue...

1 Message

April 13th, 2013 13:00

I am having the same problem. I've only just purchased the XPS 12 so will be returning it now for a refund since this appears to be a significant problem.

32 Posts

April 13th, 2013 15:00

I run Linux on my XPS12, the screen in principle works fine in tablet mode but after a few minutes or touches a touch-end signal or so is missing wherefore I cannot click any button any more. The touch-screen itself is working precisely so the pointer always is at the right position. Could this be a Linux or a hardware issue?

thanks in advance

best regard

39 Posts

April 15th, 2013 08:00

LJ, that's interesting. Before I returned my XPS 12 I'd done some digging on the software side. The touchscreen controller is an Atmel controller, but the software (installed as part of the QuickSet suite Dell provides) is called "touchreset.exe". I'm unfamiliar with how touchscreens operate within Windows but with the error you're seeing and that file name, I wonder if it's supposed to be some sort of fix for something Dell's aware of (and not talking about).

I was told the issue was with data running over the integrated DisplayPort cable within the device, but I'm unconvinced of that explanation as changing the priority of the touchreset.exe task or killing and restarting it would often cause the touchscreen to start responding again, which suggests to me a software issue. Please, if you figure anything more out let us know.

32 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for this useful information. A reset  every few seconds could really be a good workaround. I suggested this now on launchpad and hope someone will respond.

Unfortunately I never booted the device with Windows8 to have a comparison,  perhaps I'll try this in the next days with Win7 (does it support the touchscreen at all?).

39 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

Honestly haven't tried Windows 7, so I don't know. If you've blown away your recovery to do a restore of Windows 8 and want to try it that way, Microsoft has a free 90 day Enterprise trial anyone can get that would allow you a clean install of Windows 8.

April 23rd, 2013 18:00

hi is there any solution for this yet?? I am facing thr similar issue?? please let me know

7 Posts

April 24th, 2013 17:00

I bought the XPS 12 and the S/N tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> . I don't care. Let Dell know that who is angry with them. They called me back few weeks ago saying if everything "worked" fine. Sure, after going through replacing the screen because I thought that was the issue with the touchscreen and having it completely stop working, I guess intermittent issue can be called "fine". I wasn't going to bother wasting any more time with Dell so I said everything was ok.

7 Posts

April 24th, 2013 17:00

Dell has a serious problem in their PC lines overall, if they can't fix such issues.

I've got yet another issue. I start typing multiple paragraphs, and the touchpad or insert key or whatever would delete everything and press the "Back" button.

NEVER AGAIN DELL!!

1 Message

April 27th, 2013 12:00

yes. I am having same issue. DELL please help

No Events found!