Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2017 02:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 - random reboots

I purchased a XPS 13 9360 on 27/11/2017 from Dell UK and received the delivery a day later on 28/11/2017. Since then, the laptop has randomly restarted several times, taking me to the recovery screen with the message 'it looks like Windows didn't load correctly'. At first, I thought it would go away when I updated to BIOS 2.3.1 and latest drivers, but it didn't. Then I opted to reset Windows 10, but today I suffered the issue again.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I have lost important work due to the random reboots.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2017 10:00

Also, check for the latest Chipset drivers (listed below) are installed correctly in device manager or Programs & features.

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - Version: 11.7.0.1035 ,A00 - Nov 29, 2017

The Intel Chipset Device Software - Version: 10.1.1.44 ,A07 - Aug 14, 2017

Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework  - Version: 8.3.10203.4295 ,A07 - Aug 14, 2017

Dell Inspiron 3048, windows 10:

34 Posts

Hi LSUFAN51, I can confirm that I have the latest drivers for

a. Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer - Version: 11.7.0.1035 ,A00 - Nov 29, 2017

b. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework  - Version: 8.3.10203.4295 ,A07 - Aug 14, 2017

However, I can't find

c. The Intel Chipset Device Software - Version: 10.1.1.44 ,A07 - Aug 14, 2017

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please check if latest versions of the WIFi card and drivers are installed correctly. You can check either in Device Manager or Programs & feature. Type Device Manager onto search box, expand Bluetooth, select Properties, and then Driver. Do the same for Network Adapter as well.

Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

34 Posts

Hi LSUFAN51, thanks for the replying. Device  manager says I have the latest drivers bluetooth and network adapter.

How do I check for the chipset drivers. Under which category can I find them?

Edit - thank you for the screenshots

34 Posts

December 4th, 2017 11:00

I downloaded and installed the The Intel Chipset Device Software because I couldn't see it anywhere. However, I can't see it even now anywhere, so  I am not sure if it hadn't been there already. In any case, I am quite sure Dell Update took care of all the important updates that needed to be made when I first got the laptop. I am pretty sure the issue must be with the BIOS, as people on Reddit have reported Dell technical support have actually told them to downgrade to BIOS 2.1. to deal with the reboot issues. I am currently on BIOS 2.1 again, giving this laptop one final chance.

1 Message

December 4th, 2017 14:00

I am having the same random reboot problem and I'm going to try this. If it doesn't work I'll try the BIOS rollback. Very disappointing, this was on my first day after unboxing my laptop. I am new to Dell, I hope this is not normal.

34 Posts

December 5th, 2017 05:00

So far getting along fine on BIOS 2.1. Optimistic (cautiously so) about the laptop now. Good, because I quite like it apart from the reboot issues.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2017 06:00

Please let us know if the restarting problem occur on BIOS 2.1. If the issue still occur, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support for further assistance in the link below.

Contact Information | Dell US

Or....

Create a support request online:

How to Create a Support Request Online? | Dell US 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Keep in mind, you have 30 days (from invoice date) for software support.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Thanks for checking the Chipsets drivers. I wanted to know if the Dell Update utility correctly search for the necessary drivers for the system. I also wanted to know if the latest Dell drivers were correctly installed  on the system as well.  

34 Posts

Hi LSUFAN51, thanks for replying. So far, I have had no issues on BIOS 2.1.

As for the Dell Update utility, I don't recall my first day on the laptop precisely, but I think I just went to the Dell website, which ran a system detect software and told me what updates I needed to download.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2017 11:00

I purchased my XPS 13 9360 non touch on Black Friday and also having the random restarts. I have only had this on battery never plugged in and there are no crash dumps available. I have re-installed Windows and had issue after. I have requested a replacement but if the batch is bad then there is no point. I have rolled back BIOS as suggested, hopefully it is resolved, I will follow this post to see if any perm fix

2 Posts

December 10th, 2017 07:00

Just to update since downgrading the BIOS I have had no further issues.

1 Message

December 12th, 2017 06:00

So last night I was messing around with my new XPS 13 9360 8th gen CPU (about 7 days old) and I decided to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 Pro on it, not from the recovery, but doing a clean install wiping everything out.

I noticed 2 things changed after the clean reinstall:

1. My M.2 SSD write speeds went from 600MB/s (pre-clean reinstall) to a bit over 1000MB/s speeds (post-install). Reads remained the same at roughly 1800MB/s. I tested this right before I began installing everything back and again after I installed most of the software I use. Myself and another sysadmin couldn't figure out why that may be since the drive was 80% empty.

2. While I was just letting updates finish, I went to speedtest.net and ran a speed test over WiFi. It was at this moment that the laptop completely shut down mid-way through the speed test (download). Kernel-power event 41. PC shutdown and rebooted. This test was done before I began reinstalling software I use.

I've been reading several forums/reddit/etc and this is the 1st one I've heard about the  WiFi driver being called into question. I need to dig around more into logs but I am curious if the WiFi could in fact cause it to power off? Do I NEED to install the Killer NIC drivers for it to function with stability?

I tried to replicate the event and ran speed tests again and again over the following 2 hours along with mixed use/installation. Hasn't happened since. I work in IT and as random as PCs can be, I don't play around with kernel power events.

Things to note:

1. I updated all software/firmware when I 1st got it via the Dell utility, so the BIOS and any firmware has been updated. Obviously any software upgrades were wiped, but I felt it was important to note BIOS/firmware was indeed upgraded prior to my reinstall.

2. In the 7 days I used it prior to the wipe, this never happened, but I only did a speed test maybe once or twice via the WiFi. Killer NIC software was installed by default.

3. I began messing with it at all because the Windows touch-pad drivers utterly ***, but that's a post for another thread.

December 12th, 2017 15:00

Hello CMSevilla,

Without touching on the issues with the Dell BIOS upgrade/downgrade and the Windows Wi-Fi framework, as I honestly have no idea what is going on there and am not in a place to answer questions on that, I wanted to answer your question regarding our software and your clean install.

First, always make sure to upgrade your chipset drivers as soon as you have a desktop, anytime you're doing a clean install. Chipset drivers should be the very first thing you update, aside from any unavoidable OS updates. After that, restart the machine, and then apply any other driver updates that are supplied by the machine manufacturer, other than the video driver, which is generally best obtained straight from the GPU manufacturer (Nvidia, in this case), but you probably knew that.

In the case of our adapters, I suggest downloading the latest Killer Control Center straight from our website. You can grab it here - killernetworking.com/.../killer-control-center-x64. We are constantly updating and tweaking it to work flawlessly with current Windows updates, and although Dell will have a version of our software on their site, they don't always have the most recent version tested with the most recent software.

The Killer Control Center is not absolutely necessary for the Killer Network adapters to run. We also host a standard driver installer, as well as a .INF-only package here - killernetworking.com/.../other-downloads. However, the Killer Control Center is the software that makes sure the latency-sensitive applications that you are running, be they games, videos, or just browsing, take priority over other network traffic, such as bulk downloads like Windows Updates, or cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive,  and OneDrive. It uses almost no resources to do its job, and we are constantly tweaking it, and setting default priorities so that the most important traffic gets routed ahead of less important traffic, without you having to do a thing other than having the software installed. Of course, you can customize things, tool, to make things even more efficient.

I would suggest at least testing with the Killer Control Center installed. If you notice that you are having issues with the latest version installed, please reach out to us at killernetworking.com/.../contact so that we can determine the problem, help you resolve it, or get to work resolving it on our end.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

No Events found!