Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 12th, 2015 05:00

Dell XPS 15 4k 9530 Touchpad dead zone

Good morning,

I bought the latest Dell XPS 15, the 4k touch model 9530, and it was delivered 2 days ago.

Since the first boot, I noticed a really strange behavior of the touchpad and I'm now trying to understand if it's an hardware defect or a software/firmware one. I already installed latest BIOS and touchpad drivers.

There is a dead and almost unresponsive zone in the plain middle of the touchpad (right above the grey line between the 2 buttons). It's small but, being in the middle, it makes the touchpad unusable except if you put more surface of the finger on it. Let's say that I have to keep the fingers horizontally. The fingertip, like I'm used to do on Mac, is not enough.

Is there anyone experiencing the same problem?

Thank you

October 2nd, 2015 05:00

I took delivery of exactly the same machine yesterday and I have exactly the same issue. It's been driving me mad why the mouse pointer would just stop moving and it's because there is a dead zone right where you describe.

Did you manage to get this resolved?

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 02:00

It's definitely a hardware fault. I'm in touch with Dell Assistenza and I'll bring the laptop to the repairing center during next week.

October 3rd, 2015 08:00

I have been in touch with Dell and a repair engineer is coming out next week. I'll update this thread once I know more.

October 26th, 2015 13:00

Hi, i have the same problem since day one.
It is a terrible annoying problem. I have to use my notebook with a mouse, ever, everywhere.

Share your experience, please.

I'll do the same.

October 27th, 2015 01:00

Hi, Even i have the same system and i am facing a much bigger but similar problem. When i put my laptop on a soft Surface(Like bed or sofa) or use it inclined lying on a couch the bottom black part just in the center of the Trackpad makes a click sound and disables by trackpad. its been 3 months the company have been trying to resolve the problem and now when they are unable to fix the problem they are blaming it on me saying i am not giving room to the system to work properly. This is DELL... A fraud company. I am left with no other solution but to sue the company at last. 

On your system click the area shown on the picture with both your thumbs and simultaneously try to click the trackpad button and it wont work. 

3 Posts

October 29th, 2015 01:00

I'd say worst experience ever. 2000$ and more to have a problem since day one,  1 month in assistance, the new dell xps is out and finally the problem is not solved.

Yes, that's my update.

The laptop arrived yesterday from the assistance (after almost 1 month) and on the repairing notice they have written the motherboard has been changed. But...

The touchpad is still unusable for me. The situation is far better and the hardware part is more solid then before  but sometimes I feel there is a small dead zone as before. More important, the 'click' has problems. When I click, sometimes the arrow just jumps 1cm away and the action is not recognized of course. Even if there is no jump, 60% of the times I have to click 2 times.

It's bad, really bad.

May 3rd, 2016 06:00

I have the  same issue, a dead zone in the center of the touchpad. For me it only occurs periodically - a few times a week, which is very disruptive for work. 

When this happens, I also notice my left button takes over the right button (displays menu) and the right button does nothing.  To perform a normal click I have to double tap the pad.  To me this sounds like a software driver issue rather than hardware.

I have to reboot the machine to fix the issue.  My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7548.  

I have no permanent solution, and Dell's customer support is so poor I'm reluctant to use them!

No Events found!