Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2016 16:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Battery Not Charging

I recently got my XPS 15 and was messing around with the BIOS settings for battery life.  I changed from the Adaptive mode to Custom charging, from around 80% to 90% thresholds.  When I booted up my machine, the battery indicator on the taskbar shows "plugged in, charging", but that clearly is not the case, as the battery life gradually decreases as if it is not charging at all.  Also, it no longer shows the estimated remaining time, but "Calculating...".  I tried reverting back to the Adaptive mode, but it still has the same problem.  I also installed the Dell Power Manager program to see if that helped things, but it hasn't.  

Has anyone else had this problem after changing the battery settings in BIOS, and how can I fix this?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 10th, 2016 11:00

:emotion-2:

Dell XPS 9550 latest BIOS update:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced

3 Posts

August 26th, 2016 13:00

I have the same problem... Did you manage to find a solution for this problem?

August 27th, 2016 11:00

me too, my xps 15 have this problem after updating to the latest BIOS. not solved yet. I think this is a bug of latest bios version.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2016 12:00

My problem has been solved! Just let the battery run totally empty while keeping the laptop adapter plugged in.

After shutdown it will charge normally again!

August 27th, 2016 16:00

...and if it doesn't (start charging) then I guess you are really in the 'do do..!'

2 Posts

August 28th, 2016 18:00

That makes no sense how is the battery going to go down if the AC adapter connected to it??? I just updated to the latest bios yesterday and now my laptop wont charge more than  60%

3 Posts

August 29th, 2016 06:00

In that case, you have a different problem than discussed in this thread. Our laptops were not charging at all even when the adapters were plugged in.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 29th, 2016 07:00

Method 3 - Reset BIOS defaults

A) Power off computer. Disconnect all external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.

B) Disconnect AC Adapter and then remove the battery from computer. Press "Power On" button for 15 seconds then release.

C) Replace battery and the AC Adapter. Power on system, hopefully battery is charging again

D) Power off computer and then power on computer again, quickly start tapping the F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS. Press F9 key to load BIOS defaults, press F10 key to save and exit. System will restart. Hopefully battery is charging to 100%.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 29th, 2016 07:00

" I just updated to the latest bios yesterday and now my laptop wont charge more than  60% "

Method 1 - Uninstall/ Reinstall Battery

A) Unplug AC adapter

B) Right click on Windows Start Button I Device Manager I Batteries I "Microsoft ACPI - Compliant Control Method Battery" right click and uninstall it. Now right click on Battery and select "Scan for hardware changes".

Method 2 -  How to calibrate a laptop battery

EDIT: Allow it to run on battery power until the battery is drained to 40 percent of capacity. Hover your mouse over the battery icon in the lower right corner of your toolbar. This will display how much life the battery still possesses. Read More....>>>

www.dell.com/.../soho_article_8

August 29th, 2016 16:00

Interesting solution until you state 'Remove the battery', does that mean physically dismantle the computer as the battery is not exchangeable it is integrated into the hardware......

August 29th, 2016 16:00

Nope...let it run down, started to recharge but got to 60% and now not charging..

August 31st, 2016 23:00

I'm having the same problem after latest bios flash, any working solutions?

September 1st, 2016 12:00

They had to put my machine on previous BIOS.. has solved the problem and guess have to wait for them to create another version..

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 15:00

You had the latest BIOS update ? What BIOS update is on your system now ?

Thanks for the update and sharing solution for the battery problem. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 16:00

I see now......

XPS 15 9550 FHD with latest BIOS - 1.2.13 - fails to charge battery more than 60 percent

en.community.dell.com/.../19989889

No Events found!