Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2017 02:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Battery swelling

Hello,

Since two days ago the trackpad has started to become unusable after the laptop has been active for a few minutes. I've determined that it is the battery that has started to swell and pushes the trackpad in a way that hinders click-actions. The swelling goes down after the laptop has been shut down and starts immediately when the laptop is active again.

I've talked with the support and after using my order number to identify my laptop (the service tag as well as the express service code don't exist in the system according to the one on the support desk) and she said that her hands are tied as the laptop went out of warranty just a few days before April (and warranty for batteries are usually just one year). Sending my computer in would cost approximately 2 800 SEK which I find horrendous for a computer that is just a few months older than one year.

So that is the backstory, my question regarding all of this if it is possible to find another cheaper and more reasonable solution to this? I would most likely be able to switch the battery on my own if I just had a replacement.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 04:00

Step 1:  REMOVE the  battery from the system and get it out of your home or office.   Take care of the safety hazard first.

Step2:  Call Dell - they are replacing these out of warranty.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 06:00

Battery capacity fading after a year of intensive use is normal unfortunately. Swelling, ripping the case apart and being a fire hazard isn't. Lack of reasonably priced replacement batteries isn't either. Talk to Dell support again, mentioning other available actions if needed.

Remove the battery, or have it removed, ASAP - very carefully because it may burn/explode if punched. Weirdly, handling of swollen batteries is not mentioned in the online service manual. On AC power the laptop should work without the battery.

No Events found!