Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2015 21:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

I have a Dell XPS 15 (9550) that I received last week from Dell with a random screen flickering issue. 

It is based on evalue order code: <ADMIN NOTE: Order number removed per privacy policy>

It is the 6th Gen Core i7, 16GB RAM, 15.6" FHD 1080p display (not 4k), 512GB SSD, 84WHr Battery, Intel 530 Graphics AND NVIDIA 960M

I saw a post about the XPS 13 with the intel display flickering being fixed with the new driver... I am running driver version 20.19.15.4300 for the Intel 530 and my screen is still constantly flickering  on my brand new XPS 9550. 

Another Issue: I also noticed that in the Intel graphics properties config panel -> 3D -> Application Optimal Mode... this also causes issues with the start menu looking distorted and fuzzy, even making some of the white text look gray.  I disabled this to resolve that issue, but the screen still constantly flickers.

One thing I have done recently to mitigate the flickering is go into the NVIDIA driver control panel and set the NVIDIA card as the preferred graphics card, which works for most applications. As soon as the Intel card kicks back in the screen flickers... I have tried various drivers versions for this model off the Dell website without success. I am running Windows 10 Pro...  not sure if a newer driver is available and just not posted. For example the newest Laptop BIOS on the driver website ends in .3 while my pc came with .5 installed. So wasn't sure if the website was behind on graphics driver releases, although the Dell Update app hasn't downloaded any new driver either.

I am about to return this laptop, this is annoying... I know it is the intel driver because if I uninstall the Intel Driver completely and let it install the generic microsoft basic graphics driver, while the performance isn't good, the screen does NOT flicker.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if you were able to resolve it OR if this is completely a driver issue that only Dell / Intel can resolve?

Thanks!

31 Posts

October 30th, 2016 18:00

I read your blog.  very good.

So, do I contact my local BBB or Texas?

62 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 08:00

@FloridaJimL

I finally received the new laptop yesterday, and the verdict is that, out-of-the-box, the flickering issue occurs.

However, the good news!

I instantly reported this to the tech contact I have been in touch with for over the past three months, and he reassured me the issue has finally been solved in an upcoming BIOS update.

That is one bug down, a few more to go. :)

Hang in there!

17 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 11:00

@Whathecode

That's great to hear! Let's hope they'll release the BIOS update soon. :)

31 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 14:00

Yes, I hope they release it before I have to send my system in for another 2 week vacation.

Dell is moving real slow on getting my return paperwork to me.  BBB has been brought into the loop also.

November 3rd, 2016 13:00

Should be great!

Besides that I am very happy with my XPS with its 32G & 1T, its very good display and a wonderful hardware construction.

Without Dell it could be perfect... :emotion-2:

31 Posts

November 4th, 2016 12:00

As I was getting my machine ready to go back.....

I backed up my data.

I did a fresh install of Windows.  I did not notice any flickering in the short amount of time I used the machine.

I installed windows updates.  Still did not notice any flicker.  I used the machine only a very short time.

I performed the Dell Driver updates.  When the Intel HD ..... 4483_A07 installed, I restarted the machine and noticed the screen flickering.

I installed the other 2 updates,  Intel Dynamic ..... and Intel Serial I/O.....

Also updated the BIOS.

All of these updates are recommended by Dell as urgent.

When I received my laptop back from Dell after the first return, I re installed my system image, which likely installed the drivers that I had updated prior to sending it in.  My drivers had been updated in late September, just before I started having my initial problems.  The $202 repair was not needed to remedy the issue.

The Dell updates are an issue.

I suspect that when the service techs worked on the machine the first time, with a fresh, un-updated driver package, they may not have seen an issue.

I sent this info to my Dell contact awaiting a reply befor I send in my laptop.

Jim

31 Posts

November 18th, 2016 15:00

I received my 9550 back today after sending it in to get the flicker removed.  I was assured that the problem would be resolved.  I still have a $2500 laptop with a 4k screen that flickers.

Jim

14 Posts

November 18th, 2016 18:00

FloridaJimL hi

Look at these two themes, this is the best solution to date

At least it helped me decide problemmu flicker to acceptable levels

BIOS UPDATE A10 & A13 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

XPS 9550 4K screen flicker with new bios

19 Posts

November 28th, 2016 22:00

Unfortunately this did not address the 'blackout flicker' on my machine, I'm still seeing it (but less frequently) even with the latest updates.

In response to 'Whathecode wrote the following post at 26 Oct 2016 16:07:'

31 Posts

December 3rd, 2016 05:00

New BIOS release

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

I saw a thread on Reddit that stated it helps the flicker.

Sent my 9550 in for flickering (3rd time) and also audio jack problem.  They say parts are unavailable until late December so they are sending me a certified refurbished unit.  NOT happy with Dell.  Warranty is still originating from purchase date of August 31, 2016 even though they have had it half of the time.

Jim

62 Posts

December 3rd, 2016 09:00

No change for me with the new BIOS here (as compared to the rollback which IS effective).

Furthermore, it is not even listed in the release details that it is supposed to address this issue.

Fifth time's a charm?

December 4th, 2016 06:00

BIOS 1.2.16, screen UHD 4k flickers both Windows and Ubuntu

DELL PLEASE!

Update: BIOS 1.2.10 A6 runs fine

1 Message

December 4th, 2016 08:00

I have the same problem I update to the BIOS 1.2.16 hoping that will fix the problem but nothing, after that I downgrade the Intel video driver from the Dell website to the version 4331_A04 and that works for me.

19 Posts

December 4th, 2016 20:00

Has anyone tried installing the latest intel driver 15.45.10.4542?  I'm running 21.20.16.4506 but haven't tried it with the new bios yet.

www.intel.com/.../intel-hd-graphics-530.html

77 Posts

December 5th, 2016 06:00

hi guys, I started one of the other threads regarding the screen flickering issue, glad to see this thread also has a strong backing. 4 216 265 views!  top stuff.

iv been keep in touch with Dell about this issue and as we all know BIOS updates haven't resolved the issue. A06 didn't fix it completely for me either nor did driver version 4331. they certainly helped.

I'm positive its an intel related issue, iv seen reports of hardware replacement making no difference - new screens/ motherboards etc - but has anyone had a keyboard replaced?

I got a response from my Dell rep requesting to replace my keyboard for one with a different shielding material. I'm hesitant at this point to be field testing for them, last thing I want is my machine being opened for possible fixes and not guaranteed ones - I will be stating this to them but would interesting to know thoughts and experiences from the wider community on the keyboard replacement.

For me the issue doesn't happen when gaming - probably because I'm using the gtx960m at this point so I'm confident its the intel gpu issue.

Dell reponse:

Based on the severity of the issue we would like to facilitate an Engineer’s visit to review the symptoms onsite and replace the keyboard shield with one made of a different material. This is expected to remove any interference of the Copper shield with the display quality. Kindly share a convenient date and I will schedule the same.

my machine is the XPS 9550 with 4k screen.

No Events found!